loose parts inside PL20 (RE20)? How to open?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TheStevens
pushin' record

loose parts inside PL20 (RE20)? How to open?

Post by TheStevens » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:15 am

Has anybody felt anything moving inside their RE20 or PL20? I just got a used PL20 and when i hold in in my hand and change its orientation, i feel something move (not small parts, but something that feels a little heavier or like it might run the length of the mic)

I tested it on acoustic guitar, voice, and percussion (unfortunately none of my bass amps are home at the moment and i dont have a kick drum) and it seems like it sounds fine (not that I've used an RE20 before), as long as it's mounted and stationary. (one can hear the movement if moved, but it's not any louder than typical mic handling noise)

So I don't know if I should return it while I can (I really don't want to!) or maybe try to open it up and see what's going on. I did get it for a pretty decent price.

Also, the "top" (or "front") is dented pretty badly, as was mentioned in the auction and I don't really care about, unless it has something to do with functionality.

Anybody know how to open these things? Looks like there's a tiny hex screw near the head, but it's smaller than any allen key that I have. (guess i'll work on getting a smaller one) There's also a small screw near the XLR connector, but I'm guessing that's just to get at the wiring.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:19 pm

The dynamic moving coil / humbucking coil in an re-20 is (literally) just resting in there. If you unscrew the top and grab the sides of the capsule, you can work it out. It just sits in there from the pressure of the foam that surrounds the coil. Be careful, because some have a ground wire that can be easily pulled off. It sounds like the foam in yours is not as thick as it should be, thus allowing it to move "freely" inside the shell. The wires, from the coil to the transformer are probably 6 inches to allow removing it, but don't pull abrubtly or with force. If you encounter any resistance STOP. You could probably just pull it out, replace the foam with a thicker foam, and put it back together. If you aren't comfortable with doing this, and you can take it back and get another, then by all means.

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:24 pm

cool, thanks a lot! :D
i guess i'll figure it out when i get there, but in case you know, does the foam affect the sound? in other words, do i have to be careful about what kind of foam I use?

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:46 pm

steve3b1 wrote:cool, thanks a lot! :D
i guess i'll figure it out when i get there, but in case you know, does the foam affect the sound? in other words, do i have to be careful about what kind of foam I use?
Not sure, but I'd find something as close as possible.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:23 pm

Hey steve3b1,
You should check out this thread:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... =re20+foam

Hope that helps

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:35 am

Hey Darrill, thanks a lot! I must have missed that one when I did a search. I get the "black pepper" coming out of mine too, so that must be the problem.

So do you think telex "doesn't recommend replacing the foam yourself" because they just want to sell you a (almost) new mic (from their description, sounds like that's what they do when you send one in) or do you think it is really easy to damage the mic by doing this?

Has anyone here done foam replacement on an RE20?

If there is a good chance I'll screw it up then I'll probably just end up dealing with the shitty foam in there, since sending it to them would double what I paid for the mic, and by then I could have started out with a brand new one!

thanks for your help
-steve

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:45 am

Glad I could help.
Let me first say, I don't own an RE20 (or similar) and have only handled one once. I would say that if you want to experiment, go to a fabric store or the like (maybe even a hobby or art supply shop) and look into getting some of that foam they use for upholstery... you know, the kind you pad chairs and the like with. There are different thicknesses, rigidity types, amount of cells, etc. Just buy a small block or however they sell it since you won't need much and cut a piece or two to fit in the body. Try to find a schematic online or pictures of the guts of a healthy one so you know how much should be there.
I don't think this could hurt the microphone too much so long as you are careful with you work. At worst I could see it blocking or restricting some bands frequency from coming in or exiting the microphone.
I would also say, what the hell. If you hurt it or kill it, no big deal, it's not that big of a loss, BUT at the same time, very few of my microphones cost that much and I know I don't have that much available now to be able to take that kind of a loss if it were me.

Let us know what you decide and how it comes out.
I'm sure someone with experience will pop up soon and have some helpful words.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:47 am

they will sell you the foam and it's not much. If it's like mine, it requires full dissassembly to replace. Mine hasn't enough wire to pull it out from the top, and taking the back apart and de-soldering is a bitch.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:56 pm

so when i tested the mic on a bass cab today, it distorted. don't know if this is because of the whole foam thing, but if the job requires de-soldering and stuff like that, i ain't gonna mess with it. i'll just have to return it. :(

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefuquaire » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:44 pm

i just picked up an re20 off ebay, seems to have the same trouble.. any movement and there is a loud rumble.... still dealing with the seller to see if he will fix it.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:18 am

My re20 is old too, and rattles if you shake it. I just take the Groucho Marx approach.

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:52 pm

do yours distort too? mine distorts on bass amp and on kick drum. I'm sending it back :(

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:44 pm

steve3b1 wrote:do yours distort too? mine distorts on bass amp and on kick drum. I'm sending it back :(
my PL20 did that and I sent it to EV and they told me it would cost $300 to fix it and my choices were to have it fixed, pay 50 dollars for them to send it back the same way I sent it to them, or just give it to them... being angry at the time I just let them keep it...

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:28 pm

Mine doesn't distort.

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:40 pm

I have an RE-20 I bought a couple of years ago that ended up being DOA and really want to open it up to try and fix it. The problem is the hex screw is totally stripped. Like completely round stripped. I took a dremmel to it to try and just carve it out but it is still stuck. I got the whole $300 dollar thing from telex too by the way. So I'm fucked, right?
Totally fucked...