To LE or HD, That is the question...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:53 pm

Portland, OR Craigslist. Steve Sena sold it to me. He had a studio in Berkley a few years ago. That was the total price.

I've got to sell some stuff to pay for it....

What should I do about the plug licenses? I was going to have him give me his account info for the plugs and then keep them in his name but change the password. I basically trust the seller. He is getting out of the audio business and I don't think it would be an issue. I just don't want to pay lots for transfer fees.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:57 pm

sounds like a great deal. i hope everything works out with the plug-ins, but it's still a pretty sweet deal with just the hardware.

ceilingcat84
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ceilingcat84 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:14 pm

sweeeeet! HD's normally $8000 just for the hardware, right?

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:50 pm

I thought it was a good price, especially with the 192 I/O box and the computer.

What should I do with the plug licenses? I don't really want to spend the money to transfer them. Perhaps a partnership with the seller where he owns them but I use them? Or I just manage them in his name?

Otherwise it is $25 a license, $350.00, with iLock and then whatever the plug companies charge. I just want to be able to update and upgrade as needed. The partnership seems the simplest and cheapest way.

So far I trust the seller.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:52 am

I'd say "bite the bullet" and transfer the licenses to you. It avoids all sorts of issues down the road. You've already got a great deal, now make it *yours*!

Good luck, and congratulations!
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:28 am

It seems like as much as you try to plan for every situation with something like this, something always happens. Having him own them and you use them, inevitably something will come up that will make life a PITA and you will end buying them in the end. I guess you can always try the sharing scheme and then if it gets to be a pain, go for the transfer...

BTW sounds like a good deal!

-J

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:38 am

I'm thinking that you shouldn't buy the plug-ins. Since iLok is based on a username, see if you can sit down with him, log in to his account, change the personal data and password, and voila! It's yours!

tenton
audio school

Post by tenton » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:32 pm

FWIW I think Waves charges $100 to transfer an account.

In the long run, it's probably worth a bit of money to get all the plugs in your name so that you have access to upgrades, support, etc.