Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

New Universal Audio preamp/mini console

Post by alex matson » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:21 am

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:05 am

Yet another stab in the dark about what people want to use with their home rig....

They should have put cooler knobs on it.

;)

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:28 am

I'm not sure what a remote is supposed to offer the project/home studio. I mean, how big a place do you have to have before you start wanting remotes? I always thought that was for places that have dedicated machine rooms off the control room.

And what is a "console grade" mic pre? Like, Mackie 8-bus quality? :)

I'd rather have more higher-quality pres in a rack unit for $1000 than that remote for which I have no desk space.

Todd Wilcox

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Post by amishsixstringer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:54 pm

Yeah, I really don't know what the fuck they were thinking. Why would UA get involved with something like that? Kinda makes you question respecting them.

Neil

danno2
audio school graduate

Post by danno2 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Maybe it's just console envy, but I think Universal understands us ITB guys need something cool on the desk besides a keypad and a coffeecup to impress the clients! The preamp racks only go so far...

Kinda has a TC Electronics 6000 vibe about it.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:36 am

RRowrr!! Kitten's got claws! You guys are a tough crowd.
Isn't a grand for a two channel pre with various other bells and whistles a decent deal?
Personally, I don't have a mixer, so I thought it looked kind of cool.

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:49 am

An interstng detail is it has VU meters only. So when you are setting levels you still have to keep an eye on your AD meters on transient sources like drums to make sure you aren't clipping.

I like it overall though. It is a remote so you can take it across the room when you are recording yourself playing piano or drums, etc.

And I second the "impress the clients piece" notion. Those bakelite's look so retro. Oh sorry, is retro out now. I think the new thing is retro-nuevo. Come to think of it, UA is doing that with their AD's and now this.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:06 am

Aside from looking cool sitting on the desk, what would you see yourself doing with this thing, and why does it have to be "remote." ???

Couldnt you build pre's into a desk, the way a mastering room puts rack gear in a desk if you are worried about client reactions? [that is a valid aspect of recording studio ownership, BTW].

I just dont understand this piece , I guess.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:36 am

joel hamilton wrote:Aside from looking cool sitting on the desk, what would you see yourself doing with this thing, and why does it have to be "remote." ???

Couldnt you build pre's into a desk, the way a mastering room puts rack gear in a desk if you are worried about client reactions? [that is a valid aspect of recording studio ownership, BTW].

I just dont understand this piece , I guess.
I whole heartedly greed, but the average guy that barely knows anything about recording himself will think this thing is just what the doctor ordered.

It would look cool sitting beside a computer, a mouse pad and a cup of coffee.

Most novice home recorders can't even solder a mic cable let alone creatively rack their own gear into a home made desk or recording centre.

This will be a hit at (insert chain store here).

I'm sure it sounds good, but we have to realize where UA is going with this and what market they are after to get to buy this thing and it does make sense.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:47 am

Purchase two EH 12AY7 preamps for desktop tube or a Sytek MPX-4Aii for "console-grade" preamps (4) instead. Money better spent.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

Damn at first I thought all of you guys were just straight up being harsh but I then clicked on the link and.....

It looks like a piece of donkey crap...No thanks...Actually if it sounded amazing I'd back off on the harsh comments but everything about this thing screams failure....At least thats my first impression

Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:04 am

ipressrecord wrote:Purchase two EH 12AY7 preamps for desktop tube or a Sytek MPX-4Aii for "console-grade" preamps (4) instead. Money better spent.
I can agree with your logic but a qualified statement would have to be made after a side by side comparasin.

Myself, I wouldn't buy this thing, but the pres probably sound decent. We just need someone to comment on its usefullness and sound from someone who has actually heard it.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:46 am

Coco wrote:
ipressrecord wrote:Purchase two EH 12AY7 preamps for desktop tube or a Sytek MPX-4Aii for "console-grade" preamps (4) instead. Money better spent.
I can agree with your logic but a qualified statement would have to be made after a side by side comparasin.
Agreed. However, there was talk around here concerning the 12AY7 sounding superior to the UA610 for certain applications. I'm assuming that the preamps in that thing are not a new design, but rather a repackaged SOLO/610 or SOLO/110. But I should never assume.

I too, wonder how it sounds. It is... rather... ugly... looking.

Jeff

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:40 am

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:57 am

ipressrecord wrote:
Coco wrote:
Agreed. However, there was talk around here concerning the 12AY7 sounding superior to the UA610 for certain applications. I'm assuming that the preamps in that thing are not a new design, but rather a repackaged SOLO/610 or SOLO/110. But I should never assume.

I too, wonder how it sounds. It is... rather... ugly... looking.

Jeff
Jeff, I asumed it would be of the 610 type as well.