Tascam 388 needs repair

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fluuid
audio school

Tascam 388 needs repair

Post by fluuid » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:42 am

Greetings all! I am the new old technically challenged guy.

i hope I'm posting in the correct forum. i have a 388 that is in need of some repair, does anyone know of someone in Southeast Texas who might wrangle this thing? It is a transport issue, no rewind or fast forward. I love this old machine, it has served me well, I'd like to hand it off to the next gen in good shape. Thanx in advance for any ideas.

fluuid
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:28 am

I don't pretend to be an expert, but if it's never been changed, you might be due for a new capstan belt. It get's stretched out and slips.

Order one here:
Tascam Service Department:. (323) 727-7617 from Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm Pacific . Less than $10 bucks as I recall and easy to install. Just turn the 388 over on it's face and take the back plate off.

hope this helps

M

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:33 am

Oh, and check the fuses. Somebody had a similar situation and a blown fuse was the culprit.

Take off the plate on top of the vu meter panel. The fuses are on the right side under the grill.

fluuid
audio school

Post by fluuid » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:45 am

thanx a milion,

i will try replacing the capstan belt, i figured that may be the culprit, but, i am loathe to dig into something that is not brain dead simple.

fluuid
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

chaca
audio school

Post by chaca » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:25 pm

try: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/vintagetx/

I can't really recommend this place from personal experience; however, it looks like he possibly could help you out.