Tax Refund Time!! Anyone buying gear? Give me a suggestion..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:43 am

Mudcloth Jones wrote:This tax thread is awesome like Joel's pants. God I wish we had the Off-Topic forum. I could go for a robot building thread from Wing right now.

shhhhhh...the administration will hear you and send the moderatorbots... don't say the O**-T**** word too loud, its apparently not a part of recording.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:44 am

This year I will finally buy another used AKG 414B/ULS, with a serial number that is close to my current one from, I believe, 1993. I can't wait to have a pair of them.

I'm also going to attempt to write off some studio gear this year, as I purchased a Powerbook, a 500GB hard drive, a PCMCIA card, a Sytek MPX-4Aii, a Moviola URS swawk box, Fender Pro Junior, the Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle, a second MOTU 828mk2, an Airport Extreme Card for my G5, 4 Shure pads for the Sytek, an EH 12AY7... etc.

The thing is, I do not run a studio business that is on the books. However, I do work as a graphic designer (full-time), so I feel that I CAN write off any computer related stuff since I routinely make backups of my work-related stuff to my PB for off-site backup safety concerns.

But I'm not sure if I can write anything off at all.

Jeff

ceilingcat84
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ceilingcat84 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:49 am

ipressrecord wrote:This year I will finally buy another used AKG 414B/ULS, with a serial number that is close to my current one from, I believe, 1993. I can't wait to have a pair of them.

I'm also going to attempt to write off some studio gear this year, as I purchased a Powerbook, a 500GB hard drive, a PCMCIA card, a Sytek MPX-4Aii, a Moviola URS swawk box, Fender Pro Junior, the Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle, a second MOTU 828mk2, an Airport Extreme Card for my G5, 4 Shure pads for the Sytek, an EH 12AY7... etc.

The thing is, I do not run a studio business that is on the books. However, I do work as a graphic designer (full-time), so I feel that I CAN write off any computer related stuff since I routinely make backups of my work-related stuff to my PB for off-site backup safety concerns.

But I'm not sure if I can write anything off at all.

Jeff
If you write off the Powerbook and the hard drive (and maybe the AirPort card) I think you'll be fine...the other stuff might not be kosher in the event of an audit...

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:29 am

ceilingcat84 wrote:If you write off the Powerbook and the hard drive (and maybe the AirPort card) I think you'll be fine...the other stuff might not be kosher in the event of an audit...
Yeah, so the PB, HD, AP Card, and PCMCIA firewire card. I definitely do not want the get audited. Yikes! :shock: That would suck.

Jeff

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:24 pm

I have my eye on a MIJ telecaster reissue. Normally it would be a 500 series product (P1 or the upcoming Chandler Germ). But I have been getting the itch to be a bit more musical myself so a new guitar has moved its way up my list of wants/needs.

Jason

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:19 pm

Jason, go up to the Twin Cities, visit either American Guitar Boutique (St. Paul) or My Music Store (Golden Valley) and pick up a G&L Tribute Series tele. I can't say enough good things about them.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:20 am

I'm depressed because my refun fun money seriously needs to be put into buying a few pairs of nice headphones to replace my 3 sets of 20 year-old AKG 240's that are finally dying off in a variety of ways. Please, someone help get me excited about buying new cans...

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:52 am

jspartz wrote:I have my eye on a MIJ telecaster reissue. Normally it would be a 500 series product (P1 or the upcoming Chandler Germ). But I have been getting the itch to be a bit more musical myself so a new guitar has moved its way up my list of wants/needs.

Jason
I can't say enough great things about the Fender Highway 1 Telecasters, too.

Jeff

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:09 am

SE Reflexion Filter + ModTrap = instant vocal booth for around $500.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:29 am

pay off debt. get a check up.

then, if there is enough, buy gear that has a nice resale value. (one could argue, its like high risk investing)
some neve compressors, or vintage API pres.. etc.. (not modern remakes either)

panda

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:28 pm

My tax refund will go straight to paying off credit cards. I get a decent refund because the alimony to the ex is a tax deduction :lol: although 2007 will be the last year as my obligations are done this year 8)

dtrider
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dtrider » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:24 am

A-Barr wrote:What bugs me is I pay a couple grand in student loans every year and I can't deduct it 'cause I'm not currently a student, what kinda sh** is that?
You can deduct the interest paid on a student loan up to 2500 dollars per return.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:34 am

I'll be lucky if I get $200 CDN back. I'll probably plop it down on the visa bill or lisence my motorcycle.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:42 am

kayagum wrote:SE Reflexion Filter + ModTrap = instant vocal booth for around $500.
Mod Trap looks cool. Where are you buying from and how much?

I've been thinking about a Reflexion Filter as well.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:58 am

My earlier post have links (in red) to both sites. I managed to find a modtrap in a local store, but you can order from the website.

Very happy with both products.