Should I kill our drummer?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5993
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Post by RefD » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:28 pm

just don't actually KILL the drummer. :wink:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 7:12 am
Location: Lansing, MI
Contact:

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:22 pm

After only reading the title of the thread: Yes.

User avatar
danielalittle
audio school
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Philadelphia

Post by danielalittle » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:46 am

if the project is just for shits-n-giggles then i wouldn't sweat the drummer. it's just for fun after all and certainly not worth messing up the dynamic of the studio's staff.

if the band is more serious then you might want to consider letting him go, but only if there are goals beyond playing a gig here and there. don't ruin a life-long friendship over something that won't matter anymore in a year or two.

User avatar
Jupiter4Jackie
audio school graduate
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:27 am
Location: Rockaway Beach, Queens
Contact:

Post by Jupiter4Jackie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:22 am

Being a band member is a job not a hobby. Generally I don't think working with friends is a good thing to begin with, but if he is abusing/a user and isn't performing to your standards than any employer/business would let him go. You got to keep it in perspective. Anyhow, let us know how it goes.

Funny how it's common with drummers, they're all effin nuts. Drummers are hard to replace, I can't count the times I've had to keep a drummer with a band (while managing) just to finish a few gigs...

- J.
"...he reaches for the pen, but the Lackey says "Actually, I think you need a little more development." Swim again, please. Backstroke. And he does of course."
- Steve Albini, The Problem With Music

User avatar
trodden
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5242
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:21 am
Location: C-attle
Contact:

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Jupiter4Jackie wrote:Being a band member is a job not a hobby. Generally I don't think working with friends is a good thing to begin with,....

- J.

What? funny. I've played in this band for close to 10 years now. we were friends when we started and we still are. we all live in the same house together as well. however, we have gone through three different drummers though.

I couldn't imagine NOT working with friends.

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 7:12 am
Location: Lansing, MI
Contact:

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:37 am

trodden wrote: What? funny. I've played in this band for close to 10 years now. we were friends when we started and we still are. we all live in the same house together as well. however, we have gone through three different drummers though.

I couldn't imagine NOT working with friends.
Whatever dude. The Teen Cthulhu split that I have doesn't sound the least bit friendly.

If I was ever in a band that was a job before it was fun, I can't imagine the kind of music I'd be pumping out.

User avatar
trodden
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5242
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:21 am
Location: C-attle
Contact:

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:01 am

Kevin Kitchel wrote:
trodden wrote: What? funny. I've played in this band for close to 10 years now. we were friends when we started and we still are. we all live in the same house together as well. however, we have gone through three different drummers though.

I couldn't imagine NOT working with friends.
Whatever dude. The Teen Cthulhu split that I have doesn't sound the least bit friendly.

If I was ever in a band that was a job before it was fun, I can't imagine the kind of music I'd be pumping out.
ahahah sweet! that disk rules, i wish we had more time to make our art as cool as the teen cthulhu side. We sold those out in a couple of months! I miss Teen Cthulhu, great band.
We just put out a new record and cd. record on Kreation Records and cd on 20 buck spin.

yeah man, i'd stay away from the "pro gear, pro attitude, pro hair" types as well. more than likely you'll be playing wedding parties in a cover band with the "this band is a job" type of gig.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests