How many of us took a Pay Cut to become full time engineers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:54 am

I can tell you, there's no money in freelance theater sound.... one of my friends/mentors has made it work, but he's an exception (and works his ass off).

I don't apologize for my day job (database analysis and development for a bank) because it was the result of temp gigs that I used to cover the theater work. If that's what it takes to make rent, so be it. Really, this generation's IT jobs are last generation's union jobs (I often call my job "virtual plumbing" - whether you're moving data or sewage around, someone needs to keep the pipes working).

Plus, there's this consideration: "I work in the daytime, some of my coworkers are difficult, I get paid for my trouble. I work at night, pretty much everyone's an asshole (or dysfunctional, or whatever), and I don't get paid for it. What's wrong with this picture??"

I'm in the camp of the "don't quit your day job"- at least until you have so many quality gigs that you can't do both the gigs and the day job at the same time. I've been very fortunate to have worked on some very rewarding/high quality projects of late, and it makes all of the difference in the world when you don't have to place the pressure of making rent on the project.

I'm very impressed with anyone who can unitask (get paid, improve a craft, engage in a community). Maybe with my short ADHD attention span I need a combination of several different efforts to make it all work.

Of course, I can lose my corporate job anytime. I can always hang a shingle in front....

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:26 am

The years I spent as a software developer were pretty good, and I've still got some of the money in the bank from when I sold the house I'd made on that salary.

And doing something outside of the music business was a lucky thing, too. I learned a lot about business, and especially about business when it's not run by crazy alcoholic idiots. So when I got back into the entertainment industry I was able to get a job with a good company, and to understand how to keep stuff going properly.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:20 am

yes. there is less money in "pro" audio...
if its worth it is another question. that probably only you can anwser. (for yourself)

panda

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:23 pm

I spent 10 years in IT and my wife would have left me (and I would have went crazy) had I not finally gotten out of it. While I know my business isn't going to make any money for a while (everything is going to be going back into the business for at least a couple years), I am much happier and the anxiety attacks are nearly gone. Thankfully, though, the wife has a pretty damn good career.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:20 pm

kayagum wrote:I'm in the camp of the "don't quit your day job"- at least until you have so many quality gigs that you can't do both the gigs and the day job at the same time. I've been very fortunate to have worked on some very rewarding/high quality projects of late, and it makes all of the difference in the world when you don't have to place the pressure of making rent on the project.
I think you're fortunate that your non-music day is something that you can do long term. I got well & truly burned out on mine, to the point that I really couldn't do the work anyway. Couldn't come up with the concentration needed to write code.

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:23 pm

i'm curious how many of you have children as well. for the ones that do...do you send your kids to private schools and if so, how do you afford it? especially people in larger metro areas that have horrible public school systems. does your significant other provide a bulk of the income? do you find the low income a big hinderance in being able to provide options and everything else you want your children to have access to?

this may actually even need it's own thread.

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:28 am

+1 on the "keep your day gig" (if you like it OK and it's not soul destroying).

i've been bouncing around doing live production, remix work, and whatever else audio related that comes along for almost 15 years now. the grass looks greener on the day job side of the fence to me now, i do well enough to get by (about 30k a year) but i have thoughts of finishing my degree and getting a database analyst or network engineer gig or something similar where i can have benefits, 401k/pension and actually save some money to have a house. my wife just started teaching after 2 years of finishing school (no job during that time) and has decent benefits, but mediocre pay.

it's good to be happy, but you also have to be pragmatic enough to deal with the future, should you actually make it there.... it's very tough to do in the studio and make great money, you can make great money touring if you can find a good gig but then you have no life... well, i guess that applies to the studio as well but at least you get to go home nearly every day.

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:33 am

formzero wrote:private schools
Did you attend private school?

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:04 pm

My day job is what funds my gear purchases. My day job is IT and A/V for a local private college. I would like to do more audio but the market here will not support it. This way I get to pick the projects I want to spend my time on. Not perfect but at least I am building some a retirement fund. My brother who has been a musician the past 10+ years in Madison WI struggles with finding extra cash when he needs it. Plus he does not have insurance.

Of course now my wife is in a good job so the weight is not all on me like it was for a number of years. That helps out. It helps me afford a couple more toys.

In today's market it is hard to make a living. Mid-level studios struggle. People see it too much as an art and not the science. If it was science and respect for the craft then we could make some money. But it is art and I can point out a number of great artists (graphic design, stain glass, musician, painters...) who can not make a living doing only what they are great at. It is a sad perspective this country has. The arts and artists always struggle along.

So I guess that says you might want to think about keeping a day job...

Jason

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Kevin Kitchel wrote:
formzero wrote:private schools
Did you attend private school?
no, i did not. i grew up in a super small town in illinois and the public school system was quite good. it was also a decent experience for me because at that time the arts were still a staple in the public school systems.

most public schools within the last 10 years have started doing away with the arts and even recess/physical activity, especially in larger metro public schools.

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Devlarz » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:22 pm

formzero wrote:most public schools within the last 10 years have started doing away with the arts and even recess/physical activity, especially in larger metro public schools.
Well of course, apparently that's what this country needs. We don't need kids engaging their imaginations and developing their bodies to be healthy while exercising their minds as well. A bunch of souless, fat, coffee gulping, fast food consuming, stressed out, cube dwellers in the making, that's what we need...all to make this a more efficient and therefore happier and productive country in which everyone can have the American Dream.

Birds in a cage, animals in the zoo anyone.

....sorry, ranting.
Well, the difference is that you strut and I stroll.

Petras

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:55 am

I'm busy trying to find ways to recoup my costs and expenses. To me, having a space to rehearse and record is a luxury. Not too expensive.. rent is $400 total, split between 4-6 people depending on who's in the band at the time, but I definitely see about $100 a month go down the drain in my persuit of musical happiness.

I have no illusions of making money or even breaking even, but I've been trying to book the space on Sundays to help with the monthly payments, although everyone I bring in is broke too :?

I'm a part-time digital music & journalism instructor for a teen afterschool program. Job rules, pays well enough for me to pay rent and go out for beers here and there. Evenings and Weekends are now mostly spent in our space. It's a good balance for me!

There's a big fat line when you're a new/emerging band between an era where you're actively seeking gigs and making sacrifices vs venues are seeking you out, you've got guarantees, riders, etc.

Bottom line.. I'm having a blast!
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:11 pm

Pay? What is that? I also heard someone mention something about insurance? Never heard of that either. Seriously, I've produced ~6 full length records in 5 years and have yet to recoup my costs from the first one in 2002. Like anything worth doing I spend the bulk of my time recording and planning to record its because I'm passionate about it. I find other ways to make money like fixing/modding/building gear. Once you find a real place in your life for creative endeavors, money just seems more like a hassle rather than a goal.

Jesse

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:14 am

It's interesting how many people have been posting that have careers in IT and Audio. My unrelated income is from bartending, which is fun, social, zero-stress, and good money. I work for a large hotel chain which provides health & dental benefits, pension plan, vacation, security, and no problem getting time off, and have been able to keep my wife going through school to fulfill the long-term goal of getting her into a money career so I can spend more time focusing on music. I figure I'll keep a foot in the door at my day job as long as possible to keep things afloat during the lean times. As far as I can see, the only great drawback to keeping a steady job is the limits it places on the amount of time I'm able to devote to making music. Case in point: the record I'm just about to mix has now been a year in the making.

Good to know there are plenty of others in the same boat, though.

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

KyleHale
gettin' sounds

Post by KyleHale » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:09 pm

this is a great thread... really... We talk so much about what new gear we have and what techniques are used where to acheive great sounds but its great to really see how all of our well-beings are doing. I know Im probably in the crowd of some of the younger guns on the forum, being 24. I work for turner part-time, seeking full time employment when the right door opens. I think im probably in the best state I have ever been in my life... making good money doing a 1-5er, booking bands/artists in my studio in the evenings and still leaving time to spend doing other leisurely activities and spending time with my girlfriend. There is something very comforting about staying in the corporate world and having a recording business on the side. You gain and loose certain things: you gain a 401k and security with corporate and loose certain artistic endeavors and vise versa, if i were to do recording full time, i would probably have a choked retirement but have a life time of acheivement recording great artists and making great records. There is always a sacrifice that has to be made in these situations and from what all of you have said, i can see those sacrifices. i hope everyone finds the place that makes them and those around them happy and pleasant to be around and acheive what they seek in being a recording engineer.