strings from a keyboard

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

andris
gettin' sounds

strings from a keyboard

Post by andris » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:46 am

I've got a decent collection of keyboards for sounds (rhodes, hammond, moog), but feel I am missing a good string sound. I can't afford a mellotron but really like the strings sounds. Any cheaper keys sound similar? Is the arp string ensemble any good?
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: strings from a keyboard

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:43 am

andris wrote:I've got a decent collection of keyboards for sounds (rhodes, hammond, moog), but feel I am missing a good string sound. I can't afford a mellotron but really like the strings sounds. Any cheaper keys sound similar? Is the arp string ensemble any good?
Weird... your post seems to have gotten delayed by a few decades. :wink:

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: strings from a keyboard

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:52 pm

andris wrote:I've got a decent collection of keyboards for sounds (rhodes, hammond, moog), but feel I am missing a good string sound. I can't afford a mellotron but really like the strings sounds. Any cheaper keys sound similar? Is the arp string ensemble any good?
You could get a digital synth.

(hides)

Okay, kidding, kidding. I haven't heard the string ensemble. I used to have an ARP Omni that I liked the string pads on. Very New Order. Another to look into would be the Crumar Orchestrator.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:03 pm

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:08 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Check this:
http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/soundshee ... sheet.html
Great stuff. Now I know where all those anoyying 70s/80s soundfonts came from. Especially the old PBS stuff. It's a fairlight!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:54 pm

The old Roland Super JX MKS70 module sounds good for analog strings, although I wouldn't say it sounds like a Mellotron. Sometimes I think strings is ALL the MKS is good for.

Effects really help in this situation too, especially chorus --which is what the Arp string ensemble and the MKS both use onboard -- reverb, delay, etc.. The effects give the little fake string sound lots more body.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:06 pm

Crap. Now I'm looking for some of those sounds... mellotron/chamberlin/etc.

I know about M-Tron. Any outboard midi modules that have respectable sounds like that?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:55 pm

I mean... The problem is you have to define what you mean by strings. If you're talking about mellotron-esque strings, what you really need is some variety of sampler -- its a different technological implementation of the same fundamental idea.

If you want to stay analog, you're not going to get anything that really actually sounds very stringlike at all. I love the "string sound on the Omni, but that's more for the texture, and also for the phaser (which I haven't found a single plug-in that emulates properly) than for the stringlike nature of the sound.

If you want real strings, you really have to record a string player or a few. If you don't have access to real string players, the second best option is one of those massively multisampled orchestral virtual instrument packs, and I understand that several of them are very good these days.

Without doing the plug-in thing, a sampler is probably where its at.

My $.02.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:39 pm

M-Tron is awesome. I stongly recomend it.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:55 am

The ARP String Ensemble only sounds good in the upper range. They get that sweet singing in the high notes, but pretty useless anywhere else. Omni I/II might be too electronic sounding if you're looking for Tron strings.

If you are after orchestral strings and variety, a good cheap module is the Kurzweil 1000SX (string expander). Kinda dark sounding but much more useful and expressive than the ARPs.

Chrisbrownsound
pluggin' in mics

Post by Chrisbrownsound » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:46 pm

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:23 pm

The Real MC wrote:The ARP String Ensemble only sounds good in the upper range. They get that sweet singing in the high notes, but pretty useless anywhere else.
I agree. I had one but couldn't justify hanging on to such an expensive synth that was basically a limited one trick pony.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:11 pm

on the cheap Tweakbench makes a free VSTi that does a mellotron thing. Just google it up.
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:58 am

I must say I love my string ensemble and I'll never part with it. Last week, I had a band member in who wanted to track one part with it, and we ended up putting it all over 3 songs. Sounds great. Mind you, we had it running through a tape delay into a tube amp....

Mellotron strings are kind of a different animal, but there are so many good mellotron samples available that there's really not much reason to go out and buy one. I have heard some decent string ensemble samples, too, but nothing that captures the synth's unique 'modulation' circuit. Heard about a free VST called 'cheese machine' that's supposed to ape the machine too a while ago which might be worth checking out.

Have fun!

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

longfade
pluggin' in mics

Post by longfade » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:43 pm

If you're looking for outboard gear, you can get Kurzweil K2000's with the Orchestral ROM for pretty cheap these days. Even w/o the Orch ROM the K2000 is loaded with sounds and is extremely flexible b/c of its Synth Architecture. It also reads multiple sample formats (Akai, EMU, Wav, etc) so you can import your own sounds.