OMG! SuperBowl AutoTune fiasco!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:26 pm

Would have been nice to hear Prince's band.

but he is a hell of a guitar player and singer.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

treble king
gimme a little kick & snare

completely OT.

Post by treble king » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Odd...Dave Grohl is a huge Prince fan - I saw the FF at 1st Ave in Mpls, and they went into Darling Nikki (maybe Purple Rain...it was awhile ago). Dave climbed the speaker stacks on stage right and did the whole solo up there.

It kicked ass. He got down and said, "I always wanted to do that."

I won't be surprised if some soundguy loses his job over that autotune deal. I saw Joel at the Target Center in Mpls several years ago, and the band was running through some medley when the guitar player screwed up, and missed an obvious stop. You could literally see the steam off of Bj's head - he was pissed.

I couldn't believe it, as it was the first time I ever saw someone mess up so obviously at a show of that caliber.

When Joel hears what he sounded like, he's going to go ballistic.

Ahh, to be a fly on the wall there...
I'm in for two, and I can pay.

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:05 pm

i just watched that video, and goddamn that was bad.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:12 am

Prince tore that shit up like a mutha...He be one sick sith with sense syncopated and raw....

Seriously though I've watched every superbowl since I was a kid and that was thee best halftime performance evah!

He's the Mecca of chill....
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:27 am

I actually he wanted to sound modern and hip for the new millinium so he told the soundguys to make him sound like a cyborg. I thought it was pretty cool, I mean come on guys it 07 get with the program.

Were those jets that fly bye CGI?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:55 am

Oh man that was terrible.

I sure don't blame Billy Joel, Jesus Christ, performing this unsingable song outdoors live while playing the piano. But being off-key would have been way way better...

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:32 am

Slider wrote:Prince can sing for sure.
His guitar playing? well.... he's a great singer!
Are you kidding!? The guy was WAILING in a downpour! He's a badass guitar player.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:36 am

I am with Cgarges: I cant believe anyone even cares or is suprised by this type of shit anymore.

By the way, wrestling is fake as well, and lots of other stuff on TV is actually not true....

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:44 am

wedge wrote:Man... I thought Prince kicked ass... And I'm not really a big fan... I thought he scorched on guitar and wailed vocally and, well, kicked ass... The only thing I didn't dig were his fashion choices...
Yep - not sure what his head-wrap thing was doing, but otherwise he was in top form.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:45 am

joel hamilton wrote:I am with Cgarges: I cant believe anyone even cares or is suprised by this type of shit anymore.

By the way, wrestling is fake as well, and lots of other stuff on TV is actually not true....
I don't know. For the longest time singing the Star Spangled Banner at a major sporting event has been a major show case for singers to really show their stuff and/or choke under the pressure. Taking the human element out of it really cheapens what that can be all about.

Also, I think Live Television is much different than wrestling, cartoons, and TV dramas.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:47 am

joel hamilton wrote:By the way, wrestling is fake as well, and lots of other stuff on TV is actually not true....
Whatever, man. Wrestling is as real as light.

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:05 am

I'm just glad I can still listen to the Star Spangled Banner and appreciate it. That's all I heard the first time through.

But then, upon listening again... Yeah, it was pretty bad.

And I really don't ever want to reach the point where I listen to the technical before the musical.

As for Prince's band not being so tight - have you ever played in a marching band stretched from 20 to 20? Dancing like a fool? It ain't easy. I thought it was great with that taken into account. And a very daring move on the part of whoever decided to make it real. It really paid off. (If you meant what was happening on the actual stage itself, I must have just missed that, too. Good for me.)
If you're not prepared to look stupid, nothing great is ever gonna happen.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:41 am

Slider wrote:His guitar playing?
You try taking a guitar solo in the rain...

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:42 am

inverseroom wrote:Oh man that was terrible.

I sure don't blame Billy Joel, Jesus Christ, performing this unsingable song outdoors live while playing the piano. But being off-key would have been way way better...
Blame his agent. Or his banker. He must have really needed the cash to do that gig....

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 am

Jim_Boulter wrote:And I really don't ever want to reach the point where I listen to the technical before the musical.
I think the problem here is that the technical (or, in truth, lack thereof) overtook the musical (or, in truth, lack thereof).