Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com
http://www.twitter.com/scottslagle

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:40 pm

mingus2112 wrote:what's a "superbowl?"
Who's Billy Joel?
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:37 pm

kayagum wrote:
Slider wrote:His guitar playing?
You try taking a guitar solo in the rain...
Yeah true...
He was hitting some brutal half step off clams quite a bit on Purple Rain.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Everytime I try to give this a listen, it stops midway through, before the signing... Infuriating! Anyone got a more stable link? I'm sure CBS's and Joel's lawyers are endeavoring to yank it asap...

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:28 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I am with Cgarges: I cant believe anyone even cares or is suprised by this type of shit anymore.

By the way, wrestling is fake as well, and lots of other stuff on TV is actually not true....
Billy Joel singing the national anthem live at the super bowl with AT freaking out on chromatic Cher mode is something that gets my attention.
I am pretty "High School" though. :P

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:39 pm

Slider wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:I am with Cgarges: I cant believe anyone even cares or is suprised by this type of shit anymore.

By the way, wrestling is fake as well, and lots of other stuff on TV is actually not true....
Billy Joel singing the national anthem live at the super bowl with AT freaking out on chromatic Cher mode is something that gets my attention.
I am pretty "High School" though. :P
I hear that, it is more the amazement factor that is weird. Billy joel is a robot now I guess.... big deal...so is joan rivers.... ;)

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:39 pm

Hearing the Billy Joel auto de-tuned reminds me of the great parody: What I Would Be Thinking About If I Were Billy Joel Driving Toward a Holiday Party Where I Knew There Was Going to Be a Piano.
But I know exactly what'll happen. I'll sit down, play a few holiday songs, and then some drunk jerk will yell out, "'Piano Man,'" and everybody will start clapping, and I'll look like a real asshole if I don't play it.

I wonder if they'll have shrimp cocktail.
Pee-wee: [falls off bike after attempting tricks] I meant to do that!

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:09 pm

mjau wrote:Billy Joel aside, I thought Prince rocked the house.
i missed billy, but prince did kick it. yessir.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:29 am

dwlb wrote:You know, it's funny, because I'm hearing flat notes all over Mr. Joel's performance. Don't know what the autotune is doing, it's not correcting the bad notes.
yeah i listened to it on my computer at work, which is under the desk, so that combined with the youtube compression seemed to mask the really obvious classic autotune artifacts, but what i heard were whole chunks where it was just completely wrong notes...like maybe the autotune was set to the wrong key or something. can you even set autotune for a song that moves around as much as TSSB?

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:46 am

No that's the point..... someone had it on STUN (AUTO) mode......what's funny is someone posted on another forum that they thought it was just Billy Joel getting old, because they'd heard the same thing happen with Don Henley!!! HA hA HA HA HA

ludwig_van
gettin' sounds

Post by ludwig_van » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:44 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:like maybe the autotune was set to the wrong key or something. can you even set autotune for a song that moves around as much as TSSB?
Sure, I think there's only one non-diatonic note in the song - the leading tone on the V/V chord.

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:54 am

I don't hear the pitch correction.
All time marks are referenced to the YouTube post http://youtube.com/watch?v=98HKmPFqFYw
I hear that the pitch on "see" (1:09) is slightly wobbly.
I hear a mild inflection in "proudly" (1:18). Is that attributable to some pitch-correcting device?
I hear a nice, soulful melisma on "hailed" (1:20) that sounds very un-pitch corrected.
I hear a nice portamento upwards on "stars" (1:30), a mild Ray Charles inflection, that has none of the telltale chromaticism of a pitch-correcting device.
Listening closely, I notice a mildly metallic tone on "...and the rockets ..." (starting at 1:49) and the words sound a little clipped: "...rocket's red glabe...bursting in ed..."
I could attribute all of the above points to stylistic inflections and a humongoid PA system.
Before we go ripping Billy Joel a new asshole, could someone take the time to point out to me (and others) just where the obvious pitch correction is taking place? Then perhaps votes could be cast as to what system he's using. Software? Standalone? That $399 floor-pedal unit from Digitech? Cuz if this is pitch correction, I'd sure like to have a unit like this for myself.
Hey, and how about those Colts?
dB
p.s. (full disclosure) Yes, I'm from Lawn Guyland.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote in residence
Music and writings
Psychedelic pop and ambient soundscapes a specialty
www.thecoyote.org

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:09 am

prince is a virtuoso of both guitar and vocals. not to mention every other instrument he touches. i thought he sounded amazing. i loved the mix with the guitar sounding HUGE! i dug the tone on his custom guitar best.

being a newbie i'm confused about the billy joel thing. i hear flat and bad notes thruout his whole performance. why bother with autotune then? also, being such an idiot i never knew you could do autotune in real time. i always thought it was only applied after the fact to an already recorded track :oops:
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 am

these_go211 wrote:i hear flat and bad notes thruout his whole performance. why bother with autotune then?
What I think I am hearing (and I could be wrong) is that the AutoTune appears to be set to the key of the song, and the piano is tuned to even temperment, which could make some notes sound out of tune.

jsull
audio school graduate

Post by jsull » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:22 am

I have to agree with Douglas Baldwin, I'm just not hearing the major mess that everybody else hears. (Though the audio on the YouTube video isn't all that helpful.) Really. I just don't get it.