Good amp for jazz guitar??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:30 pm

lefuquaire wrote:don't leave out the fender vibrolux reverb! very popular with the jazz guys, the 2X10 speaker configuration is much tighter than 1X12 and these amps shipped with alnicos for several years. more headroom than a deluxe and not much bigger. way lighter than a twin.
can i just say i love your avatar?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:38 pm

Harry wrote:Thanks for all the advice....I think I'll tell him to start with getting the amp serviced. if that doesn't do it look into some speakers.
Fenders are one of my favorite amps for clean sounds so I have a hard time pointing him to something else.

All else fails, and he wont change guitars I'll tell him to stuff a sock in it>)

Thanks,
Harry
That Deluxe Reverb should be a sweet jazz amp. Just the right size for a nice sweet natural distortion for jazz. Great size and weight. If he needs more volume he might have to get a twin or a pro reverb.

A Weber speaker will help the output of the amp, more overall volume and more bass.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:22 pm

There's nothing wrong with the Fender Deluxe. Encourage your friend to learn to get the most out of his rig and fingers. It's also possible that his guitar just isnt the right match for that amp. But if that is the case, suggestions on a message board aren't going to help much. He needs to get out there and try some amps.

Here's a clip I made of me playing a '53 Epiphone Triumph Regent with a floating pickup into my '65 Fender Deluxe (non-reverb model) and my '64 6G15 Fender outboard reverb.

Recorded with a Beyerdynamic M-88 off-axis about an inch off the grille, into a Seventh Circle A12 straight to pro-tools.

No EQ or effects or other processing of any kind.

I think it's a pretty nice jazz guitar sound.

http://www.soundsdifferent.com/mroozik/ ... 20Born.mp3

BUT if he wants that super-clean thing... well I have no love for the Polytone or Jazz Chorus. The Acoustic Image company makes some real hi-fi heads and Raezer's Edge cabinets are the logical choice for that. But I never went for the whole "Jimmy Bruno" super-clean type of thing. But if that's what your friend is into, the Clarus with a Raezer's Edge will get him there. Provided his hands bring it to the table first of course ;)

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:27 pm

lefuquaire wrote:don't leave out the fender vibrolux reverb! very popular with the jazz guys
True. Peter Bernstein favors one.
...these amps shipped with alnicos for several years.
You might want to fact-check that. Fender amps, by the time the blackfaces rolled around, pretty much all shipped with ceramic magnet Jensens or Oxfords (JBL on special order).

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefuquaire » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:24 pm

You might want to fact-check that. Fender amps, by the time the blackfaces rolled around, pretty much all shipped with ceramic magnet Jensens or Oxfords (JBL on special order).

i was actually thinking of silverface since blackfaces are getting pricey these days.. i have a 74 with cts alnicos..

from ampwares fender field amp guide:
Year: 1968-1982
Model: Vibrolux Reverb
Circuit: AA270
Speaker Model: Oxford 10L5 or CTS 10" AlNiCo

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:55 pm

gotcha. :D

Sometimes I forgot Fender made anything after 1970.

Snob, I am. :?

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefuquaire » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:26 pm

hey i guess i'm a snob too, but i'll still let a siverface fender into the party..
some models (deluxe, princeton etc.. ) suffered only minor circuit changes and can be made to sound as good as any blackface.. and certainly better value than the blackface reissues with their pc boards. still, nothing beats pre-cbs!!!!!

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:15 am

lefuquaire wrote:hey i guess i'm a snob too, but i'll still let a siverface fender into the party..
some models (deluxe, princeton etc.. ) suffered only minor circuit changes and can be made to sound as good as any blackface.. and certainly better value than the blackface reissues with their pc boards. still, nothing beats pre-cbs!!!!!
I totally agree.

One thing though is that there's more to it than the circuit.

Those CTS alnico speakers sound none-too-good to me, and the "ox-fart" oxfords are no prizes either. Not to mention they switched from the blue tubular Mallory caps and started using those gross-sounding "chocolate drops," the lead-dress in the amps were inferior causing all sorts of parasitic capacitances, etc etc etc. The transformers actually remained very similar.

But quality of components is at least as important as the circuit. And CBS just did NOT care about that. Maybe Leo didn't care either? but there were certainly better components in the blackface amps.

the tiny dancer
audio school graduate

if money's no object...

Post by the tiny dancer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:42 am

Check out the Carr Rambler. That's the sexiest Deluxe-style amp. It's got the Neve of guitar amp eq's and the mid cut on that might be just what the doctor orderded.

It's not like I can afford one...there like $1800+ in used, near mint condish.