Anybody have an idea about 002R compatibility?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Hucklebeam
studio intern

Anybody have an idea about 002R compatibility?

Post by Hucklebeam » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:07 am

this will be a little long winded but I want to give details to be thorough....

Hello,
I have recently picked up a new 002R/v7.3.1 that I wanted to install and use primarilily as my multi tracker, eventually using it in tandem with or replacing all together my HD-24. I drop probably 85% of my mixes to 1/4" tape on as old ampex 444B I think? Anyway it sounds great and I then have always taken the analog two mix into Cool Edit Pro v.2 to edit and doctor. My old soundcard/interface was a MOTU 2408 mkiii and all worked smooth.
Well that was my plan with the 002R. Everyone seemed to think it would work, I replace the MOTU/ADAT and keep using the Analog/Cool Edit Combo. I even know someone who has an 001 and uses cool edit as a stereo editor and what not.
Well I can not get any in's into Cool Edit...no problem I thought, I put on a crack version of Sound Forge 7.0 and wah-lah...same thing. The outs show up in my software device preferences but not the ins. I had to get MME bridge software in an attempt to get both I/O to show up but only only outs come up. If I go to Windows control panel (the latest version of XP PRO), I can designate Digi as playback but the voice record option is only a ghost (I guess thats what you call it), you can see the pop up window but can do nothing to it.
I realize that I can use pro tools to do the stereo edit functions in a roundabout way but I was reallly comfortable with the Cool Edit. I am busy enough at my project studio that I will learn a lot on the fly and I am wary of imposing my learning curve onto paying folks. It would be nice to keep my old standby. Even when I think about future upgrades, I was always looking to go to samplitude or even the latest version of Sound Forge to do my two track work.
I am admittidly new to a lot the digidesign world. I knew they were proprietory but THIS!? Am I maybe just overlooking something simple or do I just give up. Funny everyone wanted to sell me this stuff but now the help staffs seem perplexed. Thank you for taking the time to go through this.
genre this!

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:44 pm

Are you trying to run PTLE and Cool Edit at the same time? This could be your problem. PTLE requires the 002R to be free for it's use exclusively. A workaround would be to dump your mixes out of PT to the 1/4-in; then shut it down and bring the tracks back into Cool Edit with PTLE offline.

Hucklebeam
studio intern

Post by Hucklebeam » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:50 pm

No, I have only one program on at a time and it is still the same problem. Again, I don't know if I necessarily have a PT issue or a Windows issue. Thanks for the thought though.
genre this!