The Tascam 238 rocks.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:33 pm

standup wrote:Fostex 8 channel RCA to XLR balanced/unbalanced converter box. Look for something like that, can't recall the model number...
Fostex 5030. I've got a couple of them around. Let me know if you're interested.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:27 pm

hey guys. I need a set of rack ears for my 238. Anybody know if the ears off a tascam da-30 will fit a 238? they look very similar in pictures.

Thanks!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

238 recordings

Post by cjogo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:17 am

I started mono cassette recording in about 1969

4 track by the 80's -- at least 6 of those --- 6 track Sansui

and Finally the 238 ~!!

All were sync'd to a sequencer --

................enjoy .......

https://soundcloud.com/cjogo/you-really ... r-own-time

https://soundcloud.com/cjogo/kiss-the-rain

https://soundcloud.com/cjogo/little-green-man

https://soundcloud.com/cjogo/jail-break

https://soundcloud.com/cjogo/boom-box-baby
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:22 pm

I was using a 424mkiii for a while and just switched to a 238. I have limited experience with it so far, but wow is the transport ever a smooth functioning little bugger.

Just bought an Allen and Health MixWizard WZ4 16:2. Its on the way. I'm also thinking about picking up the Tascam LA80 and LA81 to match the signal levels between the mixer and recorder.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I admittedly have only used my 688 sparingly as I really only bought it to have a more portable version of the 388...but when I do use it in surprised how decent stuff sounds off it. Yeah there's some hiss (which strip silence and multiband compression is very helpful for minimizing) and crosstalk but it otherwise is actually seems to have a much less coloring recording quality than the 388. I recently ran the outputs of my iPad running Rebirth into the 688 and it sounded pretty good. Though I think I would prefer the fully self contained format of these over the 238...

Marcelli
audio school

Post by Marcelli » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:55 pm

The Tascam 238 would rock significantly harder if one could find a PW-5MD to go along with one's Midiizer.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:12 pm

kslight wrote:I admittedly have only used my 688 sparingly as I really only bought it to have a more portable version of the 388...but when I do use it in surprised how decent stuff sounds off it. Yeah there's some hiss (which strip silence and multiband compression is very helpful for minimizing) and crosstalk but it otherwise is actually seems to have a much less coloring recording quality than the 388. I recently ran the outputs of my iPad running Rebirth into the 688 and it sounded pretty good. Though I think I would prefer the fully self contained format of these over the 238...
After playing around with it for a few weeks, I agree. Back to the 424. I'm selling the 238. I don't like messing with a mixer and all those damn cables!

wheyface
audio school

Mine's been doing funny things...

Post by wheyface » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:31 am

The playback on my 238 is putting nothing through on channel 7. As far as I can tell it records just fine, but playback is a no go. Any suggestions?

I've pulled out all the cards and swapped them around so I have a feeling that it's something in the PCB-Head relationships and somewhere in those wires. Any ideas?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Tascam 238 capstan recap. Pics ..and story of woe

“ Both versions have poor quality silver capacitors in the capstan motor board,The "S" has these tiny silver capacitors that are doomed to fail in the dolby section of each tracks daughter board as well. Tiny, fiddly work to replace these surface mount suckers, don't know that I'll ever have it done.

(EDIT: had it done. Needed a tech comfortable with surface mount work. Not cheap, but I felt his fee was fair (what’s rock solid dependability with your 40-year-old deck worth to you?) worth the expense and works and sounds great)

Edit: I ended up going with a tech in the northwest. He did a fantastic job during a very stressful time in his life. And did a fantastic job. Thank you so much sir. I need to get your contact information up here with your blessing)

Edit ll: "Jeffrey of Analog Only in Portland, Oregon" and email address as well (sales@analog-only.com)

Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: The Tascam 238 rocks.

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun May 23, 2021 6:12 pm

Reviving this thread. I bought a broken 238 and sent it to Denis and 238pro.net and had him restore it (about 350$ US) and it’s working like a dream now. Speed issue caps have been replaced, fully aligned, speed calibrated, etc etc. I’ve got it paired with a Sound Workshop 1280B and it’s sounding excellent. Direct drive really makes a difference and this is the only 8 track that has it.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 26, 2021 5:30 am

wow! Great to know. Where is he? I've got a working 238 here but it could use a tune up. Just wondering if shipping will make it prohibitive.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed May 26, 2021 6:50 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:30 am
wow! Great to know. Where is he? I've got a working 238 here but it could use a tune up. Just wondering if shipping will make it prohibitive.
NYC. that included shipping BTW. he re-did my 122mkIII as well (same direct drive and same runaway capstan speed caps). He sent a full report on what was done and how it tested out after the work as well. his email is on his website, you could reach out to him and just see what he says. he seems like a reasonable guy.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 26, 2021 7:38 am

Great news. Thanks. I've also got a sick 122. no runaway speed but it's got a nasty 60 cycle hum.