The Tascam 238 rocks.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:06 pm

Big thanks Konrad "purerad" of homerecording.com for getting these scanned.
Here is the Tascam 238 product brochure for posterity.
ImageImageImageImage

Click for Huge hi-rez PDF images of the brochure

Click here for Tascam 238 FAQ

Click here to hear from techs who worked on Dolby S repairs tell all!

Tascam 238 schematics!

Tascan 238 service manual
______________________________________________________________________________________
TapeOp member cjogo's soundcloud page of 238 recordings

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:47 pm

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:32 am

If anyone needs spare parts PM me. My 238 has fatal problems in the power supply and motor that will cost me more to fix than the deck cost me and I would love to help someone keep theirs running. My life just hasn't been the same since my 238 died, and I sold my 488mkII when I got it because I figured I didn't need 2 8-tracks :(
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:02 pm

shedshrine wrote:Image
Damn, I thought that was a tee shirt.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:29 pm

"TASCAM 238" T-Shirts

Only $19.99. Hurry, supplies limited!

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Still have a 234 in pretty darn good condition. Although I've transferred everything of consequence to HD. I keep it clean and actually run it now and then to keep the thing loosened up.
It does have a pleasing sound to my baby boomer ears.
dino
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:56 pm

ImageImage
Available in Digital Sterility White and Analog Warmth Yellow :D
*also available in long sleeve. 100% cotton

richierichie
ass engineer

Post by richierichie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:30 am

Seriously, i'd wear one of those. Until i'd rotted the armpits right through. I picked up a 234 last year and love it. You can push the tape soooo much harder than a standard 4-track.
I like you mostly late at night

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 am

When this thread started, you could buy cassettes at 7-11 apparently.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:40 am

so, speaking of the infamous capstan motor, does anyone have a schematic? digging into the deck, it becomes pretty quickly apparent that the circuitry, not the "motor" itself, is what fails. i keep on putting off shelling out $100 to get a new motor for mine because i remain convinced there must be one of those little dinky resistors or diodes or whatever else is on that board that i could replace for pennies... but without values, nowhere to start :(
Village Idiot.

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:16 am

floid wrote:so, speaking of the infamous capstan motor, does anyone have a schematic? digging into the deck, it becomes pretty quickly apparent that the circuitry, not the "motor" itself, is what fails. i keep on putting off shelling out $100 to get a new motor for mine because i remain convinced there must be one of those little dinky resistors or diodes or whatever else is on that board that i could replace for pennies... but without values, nowhere to start :(
Hi!

Actually, I think it's the little SMT caps on the controller board that fail. Here's a guy who done some groundwork and come up with a fix:

http://thesquarewaveparade.com/tascam122.html

I have a dead 122MKII and a 238 in the garage waiting to try this on, but I have yet to work up the courage.

BTW, big +1 on the 238! I've got mine racked-up like an oversized portastudio--a 238, a patchbay normalled to a Rane SM82 mixer, and an ART TubePAC mic-pre/compressor, all in a six-space rack. Perfect for demos or simple tunes, then bounce-able to DAW for mixing. 8)

Regards,
Joe

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:43 pm

germaniac wrote: Actually, I think it's the little SMT caps on the controller board that fail. Here's a guy who done some groundwork and come up with a fix:

Nice find Joe!

..And about the second shirt design. Enough interest for maybe a short run via someplace like this?

http://www.uberprints.com/studio/

(hmm.. that image definitely wouldn't blow up cleanly which means a picture of the unit taken but without the cool metal reel to reel cassette.
Any chance someone is able to provide a high res picture of the original brochure? )

Edit: like this one. (thanks Jeff Peletz, homerecording.com)

Different version by Jeff, a 1920x1080 wallpaper here;
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...5wallpaper.jpg
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue May 01, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:28 pm

germaniac wrote: Hi!

Actually, I think it's the little SMT caps on the controller board that fail. Here's a guy who done some groundwork and come up with a fix:

Yes yes, thank you, why didn't i think to search for other units using the motor. ... SMT, man i was looking and looking for that term when i posted earlier. The main reservation i have about the fix, is that he's fixing the all-too-common runaway speed thing, whilst mine's moving sloooooooooowwwwwwwly. that'll at least be something to start on though, perhaps one of these days i'll finally be able to fire up the 238, 246, and 388 simultaneously, switch on all the dbx and interconnect everything with yet more dbx, so i can drift and bounce on the resulting waves of tas-fi
Village Idiot.

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:56 pm

floid wrote: The main reservation i have about the fix, is that he's fixing the all-too-common runaway speed thing, whilst mine's moving sloooooooooowwwwwwwly.
Well, the fix-it guy (Steven) says the caps fail "closed" decreasing capacitance and speeding up the motor. But caps can also fail "open," which could increase the capacitance, and could slow down the motor. So it's most likely the same problem, bad caps.

Regards,
Joe

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:59 pm

[quote="richierichie"]I picked up a 234 last year and love it. You can push the tape soooo much harder than a standard 4-track.[/quote]

That was my observation also.
I used to hump the damn thing all over hell and back, just having a ball recording friends. Once you figure out how much to push it to get the desired amount of trash-itude it?s a fun machine to have. Have you tried mixing down to it? Left =1 & 2, Right = 3 & 4
dino
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's