speaker recommendations. 15" for blackface bassman.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

carter
alignin' 24-trk

speaker recommendations. 15" for blackface bassman.

Post by carter » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:50 am

my fifteen inch speaker is pretty blown. it can do ok at shsows but i can't record with it. I play an old mustang to a 67 bassman and I don't know what speaker to buy to replace my vintage jensen which i loved the sound of by the way.
I'll go new or old.

citystate
takin' a dinner break

Post by citystate » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:17 am

i have a jbl in my bassman. not sure of the model, d130f maybe?

it sounds great but is too powerful for the cab. when i play bass thru it, it sounds like a rattling cadillac trunk. sounds kinda awesome actually.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:02 pm

Check WeberVST (https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/), they have really good Jensen clones and lots of other good stuff...
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:29 pm

I know we tend to be conservative and often think that the old stuff is better... but when it comes to bass speakers, the new stuff is head and shoulders over anything from the 1960s or 1970s.

The best driver for your cabinet really depends on the cabinet size and port design/size...

Ted Weber does make some great speakers. The Ceramic California 15 would give you some of that old JBL vibe.

My general recommendation would be an Eminence Delta Pro.

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefuquaire » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:45 pm

your amp is looking for a 4ohm load, chances are if your are playing though a single 15" speaker, it's seeing a load of 8ohms. while this is still better than underloading, your amp will work better with the correct load. here are the original specs according to ampwares fender field amp guide:
Year: 1964-1967
Model: Bassman
Circuit: AA864, AA165, AB165
Speakers/Load: 2 x 12"/4 ohms total (8 ohms each in parallel)
Speaker Model: Jensen C12N, Oxford 12T6 or Utah ceramic 12"

weber makes a version of the c12n which is very respectable. you could also look around for a nice 4ohm single 15" bass speaker. depends if you want to go stock or need to have a tighter more "modern" type of bass sound.
carter wrote:I play an old mustang to a 67 bassman .
i'm assuming you mean a mustang bass.... if this rig is for guitar you should be fine with jensen style repros.