How do I use one outboard EQ unit for a whole mix?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Wolfman Sack
gimme a little kick & snare

How do I use one outboard EQ unit for a whole mix?

Post by Wolfman Sack » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:02 am

Sorry if this is a stupid question.....I've spent my whole life using plugin EQs as inserts but changed platforms recently and I don't have any EQ.

I thought about buying an outboard EQ to use with my Roland VS2400CD but I don't understand this concept: Let's say I want to do some EQ carving to make my mix sit better. So I want to cut off the low end on the guitar part, make room for the bass and kick to sit together, etc - but I only have one EQ unit. Do I have to commit to each new EQ setting by re-recording the part through the EQ to a new track every time I want to make a change to an individual instrument because I only have one EQ unit?

With plugins you can open up a bunch of instances of the plugin, one for each track. But I don't get how people use one outboard EQ unit to mix - wouldn't you only be able to apply it to one track at a time?

I'm asking because I don't want to buy hardware if it turns out I have to get multiple units to accomplish the same thing I could with one plugin program. I'm probably missing some obvious routing technique - or am I?

Thanks

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Re: How do I use one outboard EQ unit for a whole mix?

Post by RodC » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:21 am

Wolfman Sack wrote: Do I have to commit to each new EQ setting by re-recording the part through the EQ to a new track every time I want to make a change to an individual instrument because I only have one EQ unit?
For individual tracks yes.

For the mix you would do the same, but route your master out to the eq, then route your mixer back into a stereo channel and record it.

I hope its a 2 channel eq :)
Wolfman Sack wrote:
With plugins you can open up a bunch of instances of the plugin, one for each track. But I don't get how people use one outboard EQ unit to mix - wouldn't you only be able to apply it to one track at a time?
The beauty of plugins, buy one effect, use as many as you want. I love hardware but I cant afford 20 channels of comp.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Post by amishsixstringer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:21 am

You should be able to use DSP EQ's in your Roland unit. It would be very hard to make any progress writing EQ to each track. It would suck bad actually. When people mix OTB they would use a console, which has a dedicated Parametric EQ for each channel/track. I'm almost for certain you can do that with your 2480 or what ever you have. Outboard EQ's are made for the same purpose as outboard preamps. They're made to add some different flavor to a specific channel strip USUALLY on the way in. Good luck bro.

neil

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:26 am

The simple answer to your question is that most people who mix with outboard gear have a mixing console which has parametric and shelving eqs on each channel (in addition to outboard gear like comps & eqs etc).

If the mixing person doesn't like the eq on the channel strips, then they must patch in an outboard eq via an insert point. They may also sub-group several channels to a group bus and patch in an eq there to say, eq all the guitars with one eq.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:42 am

You have EQ on each channel of the roland unit. Read the manual.

Also apparently you can add plug-ins to your VS unit.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/navi ... vs+plug+in

Looks like quite a good selection! I'm not sure how this works, just happend to notice that plugins existed for the VS platform, which was news to me.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

Wolfman Sack
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wolfman Sack » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:46 am

I just bought the thing, I must have missed the section on channel EQ. Thanks for the heads up.

I was considering the Massenberg VS EQ plugin vs. an outboard EQ so now it looks like Massenberg wins. I agree, using one outboard unit for everything would be a waste of time. Thanks for the feedback.