se electronics reflexion filter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crawdad
audio school graduate

se electronics reflexion filter

Post by crawdad » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:12 pm

has anyone tried it? will it work? it seems like an inexpensive alternative to acoustic treatments.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Re: se electronics reflexion filter

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:37 pm

crawdad wrote:has anyone tried it? will it work? it seems like an inexpensive alternative to acoustic treatments.
$300 is cheaper than $50 for a sheet of 703 and burlap? or even a heavy blanket hung on a mic stand?

looks like a fine product, but i cant wait till the day i can esaily throw that much away on a gobo.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:53 pm

I just finally bought one, and I haven't had a chance to record with it yet, but it is amazing how much of the room it takes out. Changing the distance even slightly between the mic and the filter makes a huge difference of how much room makes it into the mic.

I wouldn't say that this is the cheap, "bang for the buck" option necessarily, but it is one of the very best "bang for the space" option- it takes up much less space than a pile of panels (or an extra room), plus it is absolutely portable.

In fact, having one of these with a modtrap makes a perfect portable vocal booth for $400. (the guy who makes it - Norton - posts on this board, and a good local guy here in Mpls).

Not that anyone here would care, but Andy Hong (TapeOp gear editor) gave the filter a pretty glowing review of it in the current issue. Read it for more application ideas.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:06 am

I'm the last person to like something like this.

I really really like it. It's easy, easy to dial in, and works without sounding funky. I have only used it with vox and a c12 capsule 414EB so far.

I dig it.

Are the other alternatives better/worse? I don't know. I don't think it's doing something that others don't/can't, it's just damn convenient.

best,
H

crawdad
audio school graduate

Post by crawdad » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:16 am

thanks for the info. i read a review in an uk mag about it. they mentioned that it was pretty heavy and that you'd probably need a strong mic stand to support it. did you find this to be the case?

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:16 pm

I have mine on a standard, cheap On Stage stand, and it's holding fine.

You can either weight the stand, or if you're handy with an allen wrench, you can flip the filter 180 degrees so that the mic is more centered on the stand.

Just commit already... :D

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:37 pm

crawdad wrote:thanks for the info. i read a review in an uk mag about it. they mentioned that it was pretty heavy and that you'd probably need a strong mic stand to support it. did you find this to be the case?
I have it on an Atlas stand, so it's well supported. While I'm sure it will work on a lighter stand, I would hesitate to adjust it to its extremes on a lighter stand, that the center of gravity might get too far off center, not to mention the weight of the mic, if it's a heavy one!

bobg (homestudioguy)
gettin' sounds

Re: se electronics reflexion filter

Post by bobg (homestudioguy) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:41 pm

crawdad wrote:has anyone tried it? will it work? it seems like an inexpensive alternative to acoustic treatments.
Check out the website and reviews: http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html
It's being used by a ton of folks from the BBC to Stevie Wonder.
Bob G. (formerly Homestudioguy)
http://www.homestudioguy.com
bobgStudioWorks

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:05 pm

homestudioguy- you're blurring the line. It's one thing to point out a positive gear recommendation, it's another when you're a SE dealer.

bobg (homestudioguy)
gettin' sounds

Post by bobg (homestudioguy) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:05 pm

kayagum wrote:homestudioguy- you're blurring the line. It's one thing to point out a positive gear recommendation, it's another when you're a SE dealer.
Sorry for blurring the line.
In some Forums (Gearslutz and Home Recording to name 2 ) there is what I would consider to be almost out and out selling with retailers and manufacturers regularly making gear recommendations of products they sell and actual selling whereas I'm just sharing links to more related information and other formal reviews about this topic.
I always try to watch my P's and Q's. :wink:
Thanks for keeping things honest here!
PS-I own a Reflexion Filter myself as you can see on my website so if anyone wants my 2 cents as a RF user, PM me, that way there is no blurring the line on the forum.
--------------------------------------------
ALSO! you can "gimme a little kick and snare" but dammit! I gotta have more cowbell! :lol:
Bob G. (formerly Homestudioguy)
http://www.homestudioguy.com
bobgStudioWorks

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:43 pm

We've been using one at Tremolo Lounge for a few weeks now. I haven't had a chance to use it on a live vocal during a band tracking session, but for vocal o/ds it has been working very well. I've noticed a decrease in ambient "room" sound when I compress the track heavily. I use it suspended upside-down off of a heavy duty tri-pod mic stand.

Roger

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:30 pm

I've been adding a second mic in omni a foot or so back in addition to a close mic on vox. phase align and blend the two depending on effect/desire of the vocal line.