Limited edition AKG C414 LTD... thoughts?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gabe
audio school graduate

Limited edition AKG C414 LTD... thoughts?

Post by Gabe » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:42 pm

This seems like a ploy to make some extra cash but i was wondering if anyone has used it yet and has heard a difference between this and the XL2.

Oh and while we are on it someone give me a run down of how the ULS, XLS, and XL2 are different?

How have you guys used your 414's - the "workhorse" microphone of the studio?

-Gabe

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:26 pm

haven't used the SE yet-
I have a love hate thing going with the 414, mine is a old ULS.
Once in awhile it steps up and sounds good on an acoustic or tambourine, but lately next to my AA 47, or 4047, or U87, or MOUSE or baby bottle it just sounds lifeless.
I use it out of convience when I need a multi pattern LCD and my 87 isn't around.
I teach part time and they have a new 414TLM and I like it alot better, sounds great through a cheap symetrix pre.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:39 am

I've used the EBs, ULSs, and the newer one XL(?). The EB sounds the least boring to me, the ULS in the middle, and the new one last. The new one is also a pain to use in terms of those buttons that scroll through the settings. Once AKG finally gets those outboard switching boxes together, this will be a really cool thing, but until then, these mics will be a pain in the ass.

I use 414s all the time. I still really love them for overheads on a rock drumkit. Omni, figure-eight, cardioid, whatever. They all have their uses. It can be a really stellar kick drum mic (used it yesterday). I also dig it on harmonica, as an ambient guitar or bass amp mic. Occasionally, it suits certain vocalists and until the recent ATM450 development from Audio Technica, I used them on toms when a drummer had his cymbals really close to his drums and poisitioning other mics was problematic.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC