Need 2nd Guitar Recommendations (LPs, SG, and the ilk)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:55 pm

+1 on tracking down a Hamer. Those things are GREAT LP clones.

Also, I just want to clarify that I said modding a Strat or Tele will not make it sound like an LP or SG. I didn't say it wouldn't make it sound like a humbucker. The pickups are only one piece of a guitar's tone.

Same reason why putting single-coils in an LP doesn't make it sound like a Tele. The question is whether you're looking for that humbucker sound, or that LP sound, or both.

Todd Wilcos

traveen
pluggin' in mics

Re: Need 2nd Guitar Recommendations (LPs, SG, and the ilk)

Post by traveen » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:46 pm

I'll 2nd or third a Hamer recommendation. For the money, the Korean Hamers are hard to beat. Ibanez also has several nice lower priced models that are a great bang for the buck.

If you're thinking Ibanez Jet King, I have one I'll sell you. I like the thing but I just have too fricking many guitars. I found the pickups a little weak so I got some replacement ones for it.

comfortstarr wrote:Of late I've become desirous of the humbucker tone. I'm thinking of buying something cheap (fake SG, fake LP, Ibanez Jet King thing). Any recommendations? Has anyone tried the Agile SG/LP knock-offs (www.rondomusic.net)? Muy cheapo. I've played a cheapie Epiphone SG, didn't much like. My only electric is a very nice non-Fender strat and it does all the strat stuff well. I'm just looking for something different and less than 300 clams.

Related question: for recording I mostly use a Peavey Classic 20, will that play nice with an LP style guitar? It sounds great with the strat... Just curious.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:24 am

ledogboy wrote:Another option-
Check out a Gibson L6-S. I've owned three over the years, and they were great guitars. Kinda like a cross between a Les Paul and an SG, with a shape closer to the LP, and a feel closer to an SG. The weight is somewhere in between the two. You can get them in two flavors, the standard, which has a two humbuckers, a funky five position tone selector and your standard tone and volume, or the Custom which is two HB's, with a standard three way bridge-neck toggle. Oh yeah, the custom also has the strings come through the body. You can find these guitars in the $350-700 range, they are real gibsons, and I think they are quite nice. They were my main geeters for years, until I became addicted to hollowbodies. My 2 cents...
Ryan
I second that emotion. There were a few models from the 70's that are cool, despite their lack of street cred.

Regarding the strat mod, well, in the ear of the beholder... It's a sound, but not a Gibson one - physics at work on this one. You can find some great deals on early 80'2 V's and such as well. Budget for a refret. Hamer makes some great stuff, but watch out on the maple top stuff, that it may be too pokey in an 80's kind of way. I would love to own their korina lp junior.

There are a few ways down this path - cheap guitar with good p'ups, and don't forget to check out Loller humbuckers.

Best,
H

Philo
audio school

Paul Reed reed Smith Soapbar LE

Post by Philo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:29 am

Korean built, 2 P90s, fun to play!