how the hell do i use anto tune

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nystrec
gettin' sounds

how the hell do i use anto tune

Post by nystrec » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:21 pm

The manual tells me nothing. I finally decided to give it a try and I'm lost. Do I have to know the key of the song or what? Completely lost, help. Sorry for being stupid. Thanx

darkhorseporter
ass engineer

Post by darkhorseporter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Apparently, you turn all the knobs all the way up, and run Billy Joel into it.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Re: how the hell do i use anto tune

Post by RefD » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:00 pm

nystrec wrote:The manual tells me nothing. I finally decided to give it a try and I'm lost. Do I have to know the key of the song or what? Completely lost, help. Sorry for being stupid. Thanx
that can be a major plus.

or you can just tell it to go chromatic and pray for the best.

also, a biggie is how harsh a mistress you want it to be about how far off the singer can go before it adjusts the pitch.

i haven't touched this thing in years, really.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:08 am

I never use it in auto mode unless you want it to sound like blink 182... Graphical is the way to go. Again, it's hard to polish a turd, but I would rather tune a vocal that is passionate and little a little flat, rather than have a perfect take that lacks passion..

nystrec
gettin' sounds

Post by nystrec » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:27 am

Thanx for the replies. I gues what I should of asked in the first place is, can anyone point me in the direction of a good site that we tell me what all the knobs really do and how to use them?

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:04 am

I took a look through the pdf manual at http://www.antarestech.com/download/manuals.shtml and it looks pretty comprehensive. I don't know if you just got a quickstart or something, but the pdf seems to cover the bases.

Gary Gray
audio school

Post by Gary Gray » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:47 am

darkhorseporter wrote:Apparently, you turn all the knobs all the way up, and run Billy Joel into it.
Holy crap, that's the funniest response I've read in ages.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:03 am

What version are you running, and are you trying to fix a whole track at once or just a line or two here and there?

AT 5 is a bit different from 4 (I don't have and experiance with older versions).

I do agree, that graphical mode is the way to go to preserve the bulk of character in a performance.

Quick start in graphical. - highlight wave form, set type of vocal (soprano, etc.) scale and key of song to your choice, select "track pitch", preview to capture selection, preview to stop it from playing, select drawing tool you want, correct the pitch by drawing lines where you want it to be shifted to, hit process.

That's a really, really quick and dirty "get you going" list. That was all from memory, so I hope that I got it all right. Just start playing around from there, consult the manual as needed.

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:54 am

Has anyone else heard that god awful singer from the metal band Flyleaf on the radio? Is that Autotune I hear. Her voice sounds so processed and awful.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:01 am

How come all of those great recordings from the 1920s through the 1990s didn't use Auto-tune?

ludwig_van
gettin' sounds

Post by ludwig_van » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:13 am

The manual covers all that you need to know; maybe you should check it out again.

Agreed that automatic mode is pretty worthless unless you're going for an intentional robot effect. You need to know the key of the song (and whether the part you're tuning has any accidentals) to use automatic mode well; it also makes it a little easier to use graphical mode, but it isn't strictly necessary.

Anyway, here's a step by step for spot-correction with Autotune 4 in ProTools:

Select the audio you want to tune. Go to the Audiosuite menu and choose autotune from the pitch-shift menu. Select the type of input (soprano voice, instrument, etc.) and the key of the song. Switch to graphical mode. Click "track pitch" and then hit preview until the clip has played through. Click preview again to make it stop playing. Click "make curve" and you'll see the pitches as yellow lines. For transparent correction, I don't recommend using the line tool; the most subtle changes would be just taking the existing curves and nudging them up or down with the arrow tool. You can also move only one of the endpoints in order to change the slope of the curve a little bit. If you still need more control you can use the curve tool to draw in the pitch. I think it helps if you try to mimic the contour of the original pitch though. Click on "correct pitch" and then hit preview again to hear the corrected pitch. When you're happy with the changes, hit the process button and you're set.

You can also click "make auto" in graphical mode which makes everything snap to the nearest pitch, which sometimes does the trick.

EDIT: Unless there's some other plugin called "anto tune." In which case I guess you should disregard all of the above.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:08 pm

ipressrecord wrote:How come all of those great recordings from the 1920s through the 1990s didn't use Auto-tune?
cos they learned how to sing?

and they also knew that if they screwed up the take they would have to redo it?

just a guess.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Check out the musicians guide to protools by John Keene (Keane?)- very useful chapter about using autotune. This part is not specific to protools, although if you are on PT it is a great book.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:17 pm

ipressrecord wrote:How come all of those great recordings from the 1920s through the 1990s didn't use Auto-tune?
cause they didn't have it.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:58 am

Remember when autotune was a black box and not a plug-in?