I dropped my Neumann! Repair advice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bedfordstop
studio intern

I dropped my Neumann! Repair advice?

Post by Bedfordstop » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:43 pm

So i dropped my Neumann TLM 103 and something broke inside. It is a small black plastic piece that suspends the circular bit (diaphram?) - now the diaphram is basically bouncing around inside the capsule. Any ideas about:

1/ where to order a replacement part
2/ if i should attempt the repair myself
3/ a good place to get the repair done around nyc?

thanks for your input!

MoonPool
audio school graduate

Post by MoonPool » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:06 pm

Go to www.neumannusa.com and click on the contact page. They're in Old Lyme Connecticut. I had them clean my U87. While it was mildly nerve wracking to pack it up and send it away (over insured!), it was well worth it. Neumann may be a bit pricey, but they did a great job and called me to discuss the problem and their solution before they did anything else.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:49 pm

yeah, the olde lyme place is actually Sennheisers headquarters, they do a great job with turn around and support, fixed up my KM184 for free very fast.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:38 pm

MoonPool wrote:Go to www.neumannusa.com and click on the contact page. They're in Old Lyme Connecticut. I had them clean my U87. While it was mildly nerve wracking to pack it up and send it away (over insured!), it was well worth it. Neumann may be a bit pricey, but they did a great job and called me to discuss the problem and their solution before they did anything else.
Same here. Had a couple of issues with my FET47, and with a couple of other old (non tube) neumann mics, and after calling Klaus heyne, he convinced me that I should send it to neumannUSA, but not let them take anything from the mics, and they were cool and let me know what was going to be done before doing it and everything, like stated above.. Just look on line. you can even get a repair order right on the site and print out a bar code that gets you in the system....

Bedfordstop
studio intern

Fixed!

Post by Bedfordstop » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:32 am

Well i called neumann and had an engineer on the phone within 5 minutes who patiently addressed all of my concerns. We concluded that I could do the repair myself, he explained what to do, and he sent me out the $10 part right away. I just did the repair and its working fine. Big thanks to the other posters and Dwight at Neumann who helped me out. Now if only fixing my volkswagon was that easy....

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Re: Fixed!

Post by Coco » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Bedfordstop wrote: Now if only fixing my volkswagon was that easy....

No shit. I'm looking at my 1975 Norton Commando that I have to bust into soon. Arrgh.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors