Good & Cheap Bass

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Good & Cheap Bass

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:45 am

So I bought an SX bass (SJB-57) at rondomusic.net last week. Mine was a b-stock due to a chip in whatever the hell coats the fingerboard. Shipped it set me back $84 big ones. It's a jazz copy with a solid alder sunburst body with maple neck and fingerboard. Non B-Stock it costs $119.

I've been playing it all weekend and I have to admit, it sounds pretty great, direct or through an amp. My other bass is a G&L L2000. I specifically got this one because I assumed it'd sound different. And it does. It sounds like a Fender Jazz.

It has very solid tuners and controls. The pick-ups that came with it need some adjustment, but to my ears (ones that aren't that familiar with j-bass pick-ups) they're quiet and achieve "that" sound. The neck is very nice, thin like a jazz should be, a little deeper than my G&L. The 1/4" input is a little rough, but no sonic issues. The bridge is a cheap one and I've ordered a replacement. I'll get the thing set-up and the bridge replaced, and with a gig bag, new strings, etc., I'll probably wind up having spent $200. If you can do your own set-ups and such, obviously it'd be cheaper.

I just thought I'd pass along the experience for anyone looking for a cheap bass that works. It strikes me as a great thing for the home recordist to have sitting around. I'm now intrigued by the Agile Les Paul copies they have on that site.

thesneakyjesus
pluggin' in mics

Post by thesneakyjesus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:47 am

that's the great thing about electric bass. You need a pair of good pups, a slab of wood, and a good bridge/tuning machine set. You can buy a cheap bass and spice it up for cheap and it'lll sound great.

As for the best cheap bass ever

I ended up with a Hamer 2-Tek from the 80s I think... maybe late 70s, and only paid $400. It's basically the best jazz bass I've ever played.

the key to a good rock bass sound is:
Always avoid active pickups

Only really high end acive stuff is nice.. like the electronics on roscoe bass stuff
~Chris

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:53 am

You're probably right about the actives. Though the ones in my G&L are nice, and I wouldn't term that a "really" high-end bass.

I do, even though I'm a bass player at heart, agree that there ain't much to the instrument. I think guitars and just about every acoustic instrument are more variable.

spacelabstudio
takin' a dinner break

Post by spacelabstudio » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 am

thesneakyjesus wrote:that's the great thing about electric bass. You need a pair of good pups . . .
Speaking of which, I think I can stave off my gear lust for an L-2000 if I can just get some nicer pickups in my Peavey bass. I keep being amazed at how much that thing doesn't actually suck. Pickups and electronics are probably the weakest link. What do you guys recommend? It has a p-bass style neck pickup and a j-bass style bridge pickup.

chris

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 am

I've only ever owned L2000s until now so I can't really help with pick-up advice. I did do a little investigation around Jazz pick-ups (assuming I'd have to swap the ones on the SX out). Here's a good resource for reviews:

http://www.bgra.net/2004/browse.php?ord ... kup&page=1

thesneakyjesus
pluggin' in mics

Post by thesneakyjesus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:04 am

what kind of bass sound are you looking for?

There's a lot of options these days, but bascially the stand bys are seymor duncan's.

a common set might be a quarter pounder P pickup and some vintage jazz pickup.

My fall back these days is to find a session guy who's sound I like, and look at what he's using. Lee Skylar comes to mind.
~Chris

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:53 am

I've played a few ibanez roadstar ii basses from the ealry 80s that were pretty nice. They go pretty cheap used. These look like a precision bass (sometimes with a jazz pickup too), not the more spector-like versions that came out later that had the same name.

Lindy Fralin just rewound a pickup for me and it sounds great, I know he does replacement pickups. But they're a good bit pricier than they seymour duncans, which I like just fine.

mcdisease
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcdisease » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:09 pm

spacelabstudio wrote:
What do you guys recommend? It has a p-bass style neck pickup and a j-bass style bridge pickup.

chris
If you go with seymour duncans, I wouldn't mix 1/4 pounders with vintage. You'll end up with a much weaker J pup and that 1/4 pounder is super hot so it would over power it.

I like the Nordstrand pickup I put in my P bass. It has a vintage 50's P design and sound. Great pickup and fairly cheap!

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:10 pm

+1 on duncan basslines. I have a jazz with stacked humbuckers. Not the high output ones. Clear natural tone. Not bad at all for noise either. Guess thats the point of the stacking.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:34 pm

i'm always amazed at the sound my early 90s peavey foundation bass can put out. i got it for the cost of taking my friend and his girl to dinner (about $50). i tend to think of it as my piece o' s--t bass....that is, until i play/record with it. then i'm stoked :D
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:20 pm

I have an Alvarez (cheap!) bass with stock EMG's, and it sounds really good, and as a short-scale compliments my stock "P" quite nicely. About US$125 used...

OT: Interestingly enough, I have one of those cheap Hohner headless (Steinberger-licensed) guitars, also with EMG's, and it sounds surprisingly good, too (although a bitch to play in the right key!:lol:)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:44 am

i got a mark tobias designs kingston 4 (korean manufactured mtd) for $275 shipped off of ebay about a year ago. it beats the crap out of the string of sub $400 ibanezes (had 3) i'd been playing for years. :D
________
IPHONE GAMES
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:26 am

I've heard good things about the SX and Agile guitars and basses from Rondo, but the prices are so low I keep talking myself out of them.

I've finally settled with my favorite cheap bass: a recent MIM Fender Jazz with BadAss II bridge. I traded a MIM Strat for it a few months back. It's not as cool as the '73 Tele Bass I sold in a moment of stupidity, but it plays and sounds better than most basses I've encountered (except that Tele...)-- I've owned almost 20.

I know there's a lot of poo-pooing about stock Fender pickups, but I like the new factory "Vintage" p-bass pups. I agree with the passive thing though-- at least for straight ahead rock.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:41 am

thesneakyjesus wrote:that's the great thing about electric bass. You need a pair of good pups, a slab of wood, and a good bridge/tuning machine set. You can buy a cheap bass and spice it up for cheap and it'lll sound great.
You don't even need a slab of wood. A slab of Masonite can work too- I actually love Danelectro basses and baritones (and the higher end Jerry Jones repros).

zachary
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zachary » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:44 am

peavey t-40 bass forever.

and i have a hagstrom i traded a couple of cheap guitars for... but that was a once in a lifetime deal.
trouble clef.