DIGI 003 is announced

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:07 am

that lead thing seems weird. why not just put out a lead free 002?

the 003 is a just a nicer 002. Like, if you're getting into it today, you're getting a nicer device than 2 years ago (or last week) but they didn't really add anything that would make any 002 owners wanna upgrade. I mean, bashing aside, all the control room enhancements are pretty sweet. you get 1-2 back for mixing otb plus an extra monitor out. and being able to make a separate mix on 3-4 for second set of headphones could come in handy for sure. But that stuff is just sweetener. Maybe we'll see the "003 pro" soon.

I'm interested to hear the converters.

will

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 am

chuckfurok wrote:
theshaggyfreak wrote:comply with international standards with concerns to lead components.
Are you saying my 002 is full of lead!? Aw crap, guess I have to upgrade now. Wait, excuse me, I mean buy almost the exact same thing for more than I paid for the almost same thing.
The 003 is generally not for current users. It's more for new users, although, it it supposed to have better pres and A/D/A. Digi did what they had to do or they would have lost world market share with new users. That's just the way it is with business.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:02 am

It's actually good news to me that this thing is nothing to write home about. I was getting the upgrade shakes when I started to hear the rumblings about the 003. I can now rest easy knowing that I'm not going to be left behind...

Lead? Crap. I guess my daughter will have to stop opening up my 002R and eating the components.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:19 am

I think my digi001 w/ my apogee trak2 will kick the shit out of this "upgrade"...If digi would actually enhance the 002 or 003 ( like 16 channels of adat etc...) I'd actually upgrade...This is the same f'ing machine as the 002....Sorry but this thing does nothing for me....
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 am

my blacklion modded digi001 (with new clock) is safe for another 3+ years.

i guess they couldn't smux the adat for 96 because at 44/48 that would mean 24 channels of IO plus spdif. god forbid...

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:58 am

Sound Campaign wrote:I think my digi001 w/ my apogee trak2 will kick the shit out of this "upgrade"...If digi would actually enhance the 002 or 003 ( like 16 channels of adat etc...) I'd actually upgrade...This is the same f'ing machine as the 002....Sorry but this thing does nothing for me....
absolutely. i'm still sticking with my 001 and mytek/lucid converters. i've never bothered to move to the 002 and certainly don't see a need to move to the 003.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:52 am

Wow. A BNC connection and 2 extra headphone outs...
People have been waiting 5 years for this?

I thought I'd be worried about needing to upgrade for a second too...I'm rather glad it's so lame.

Continuing the 48k limit on the ADAT is the lamest part. I might have jumped if it had SMUX... definitely no need to get rid of the 002.

Off topic but related:
The lead based stuff is making big changes across the industry. A lot of boutique gear manufacturers are having a hard time simply finding good solder that doesn't have lead in it. Wonder what that's going to do to prices of other gear...

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:51 am

Quite lame for a "new" Digi interface. I wonder how long before my 002R becomes a "legacy" product and Digi stops supporting it. Will I be stuck at PT 8.0? (Like the 001's being stuck at PT 6.4)

If they improved the converters or the pres their press isn't touting that... So I doubt that was their focus. A few more light pipe connections would have been nice.

It appears that all they did was add word clock, which is a good thing.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:07 am

Yeah I'm in a sense "glad" that they offered nothing to make me say...Damn I really need that...Until they do I"ll ride this 001 into the fucking ground...And when she dies I'll buy a used one on Craigslist and kick that horse like the horse I'm kicking right now...

Viva la 001....

Peace

www.myspace.com/questpoetics
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:52 am

i highly recomment the black lion mod with his new external clock. it turns it into a real thoroughbred.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:37 am

bantam wrote:i highly recomment the black lion mod with his new external clock. it turns it into a real thoroughbred.
External Clock?

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:41 am

yeah, the 003 is a huge let down. my 002 will be suiting me just fine for a while.
Bipolar Production

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:44 pm

matt attaches a new clock board to the 001 pci card. external's not the right word, its more like a replacement clock.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Sound Campaign wrote:Yeah I'm in a sense "glad" that they offered nothing to make me say...Damn I really need that...Until they do I"ll ride this 001 into the fucking ground...And when she dies I'll buy a used one on Craigslist and kick that horse like the horse I'm kicking right now...

Viva la 001....
Took the words right out of my mouth!

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:46 pm

From the horses mouth:

"Hi All,

Sorry for this relatively slow response post to what is clearly a headline issue for many DUC citizens ? the thread arrived ahead of the actual launch, and I didn?t want to post until after we?d got the official news up on our own website, and given it time to propagate around the world a little.

As several posters have concluded, our intention with the 003 family was to provide a refresh of an already successful product. This is a smaller scale effort than some of the projects we do at Digidesign, and the decision to approach it this way limited our freedom to innovate with features, or change the price.

Why would Digidesign choose to just do a refresh? It?s certainly not our first preference: we?ve come into our current position in the creative world of audio on a foundation of innovation. We?re wired that way still. Even a relatively large company like Digi still has to make tough trade-offs over what to spend time on however, and since the 002?s continue to fit the bill for many users, we decided to go with a refresh. This left us free to pursue some other projects we?d long wanted to do, like the Mbox2 Pro, Mbox Mini, the Profile live console, a lot of Pro Tools feature development, and a bunch of other things I can?t talk about yet.

Despite the constraints of doing a ?refresh only? project, we still worked at making improvements to every aspect of the design that we could.

The I/O complement had to remain the same, so the differences in that area are relatively few. The biggest change is in audio quality. The mic pres were completely re-designed, and we upgraded their dynamic range by almost 6dB, and their distortion performance by almost an order of magnitude from 0.004% to 0.0007% (note the three zero?s after the period.)

We found several ways to enhance the 002 control surface as we re-worked it for 003: it now includes dedicated automation controls, and you can use the meters to provide an auto mode status display. The 2-line display provides much better visual feedback for all functions, allowing you to see 6-character channel names at the same time as parameter value readouts. With a jog/shuttle wheel and an external clock input, the product is more at home than before in post production environments. And the updated MIDI mapping mode will make controlling other MIDI apps and devices much more fluid for music producers.

Despite these changes, I can see how this intro is disappointing to existing 002 owners who were looking to upgrade to a product that would take them to the next level. We don?t mean to limit anyone?s options, and clearly the 003 family is not intended to serve that ?step-up? purpose ? it?s for new users. We understand the desire, though: we are hard at work on products which will allow people to move beyond today?s LE family (whaaaat! like I said, I can?t talk about that stuff!)

I hope this post helps with understanding our moves (I know it won?t help much with the disappointment) and that we are thinking along the same lines as many of you. Despite some of the harsher comments, I?m glad we have such a passionate and engaged customer base ? it makes the communication open and easy.

One last note: some of the posters on this thread were concerned that 002 support will be going away with Vista. As we state elsewhere on our website, we?re beavering away at Vista support right now, and I?m glad to confirm that 002 will be fully supported in the forthcoming Vista-compatible release of Pro Tools.

- David

Senior Director, Product Marketing
Digidesign "