Michael Percy Audio?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ceilingcat84
alignin' 24-trk

Michael Percy Audio?

Post by ceilingcat84 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:08 pm

Anyone order parts from this guy before? I'm building a modded PAIA TubeHead mic pre and I need some Black Gate N-series electrolytic caps and a few other parts. I sent an email request about a week and a half ago and I still haven't heard back. Is it worth calling/faxing (even though the website claims they usually don't answer the phone)?

I'm thinking I might have to go with Nichicon caps of equal value if this doesn't work...i just have no idea where else I can find the Black Gates. suggestions welcome! thanx.

hulahalau
gettin' sounds

Post by hulahalau » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:46 pm

I have ordered twice, over three year span. Highly recommend him. He even shipped my order een though my check was slightly under the amount (I underestimated shipping),

He has stuff that no other vendor has, or has stuf at quite reasonable prices compared to other vendors.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:00 am

Micheal Percy is fairly well respected and usually gets props from folks that have worked with him, but he can be sloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww to respond or may not at all. It says something that he still gets good word of mouth in spite of this. I tried working with him at one point and just gave up. He did end up sending an apologetic e-mail and explained the current circumstances that led to a delay. It's a one-man operation and he clearly has way too many orders to process them efficiently. Personally, I think he should have some kind of statement on his website that clearly outlines the delays one might expect and should maybe even stop excepting orders if he knows it's gonna be a month or so before he can even look at it. Bottom line is, Micheal's a cool guy with good product, but if you need it tomorrow...look elsewhere.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

GREGL
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by GREGL » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:22 am

I've had very good luck ordering parts from Michael in the past.