MOTU 828mkII with external clock. Improvements?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

MOTU 828mkII with external clock. Improvements?

Post by punkrockdude » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:50 am

Hi guys! I got a question about using an external clock with a MOTU 828mkII. If I connect let's the SPDIF out from an Apogee Mini Me into the SPDIF in on my MOTU and choose to use the external clock coming from the Mini Me through the SPDIF, will it improve the sound of the MOTU unit. Will it's ins and outs sound better?

Why I ask is because I feel that I am not satisfied with the sound I get when recording. And now I have read stuff about external/better clocks that might improve the sound.

I greatly appreciate any help!

Best Regards
Last edited by punkrockdude on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:38 pm

Yes, I clock from a HEDD and it helps. I also got the BLA mod (except for the clock mod) and that helped too. Try it out.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Post by punkrockdude » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:44 am

I am thinking about getting a RME ADI-2 AD/DA (my cash flow is not in favour for the Mini-Me) from what I have heard about it. Any thoughts? Would it improve the sound of my 828mkII you think? Regards

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:26 am

I have been clocking my 828mkII with the Presonus Digimax FS for a few weeks now. I read Andy Hong's review and bought it right away.

I'd say it was a huge improvement, almost night and day than using the MOTU clock. It just sounds more clear, less hazy. I really don't know how to describe it better than that.

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Post by punkrockdude » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 am

jc_terrones, thank you so so much for your reply. it makes me more confident in my buy that I hope to recieve tomorrow. An RME ADI-2. I can't wait until tomorrow. Regards

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:40 am

I don't know much about the RME stuff. I hope you experience similar improvements.

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Update... WOW

Post by punkrockdude » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:23 am

Here's an update. I have had my MOTU clocked to the RME ADI-2 via SPDIF coaxial and other times SPDIF/TOSLink now for a while and noticed some improvement. But the BIG improvement slapped in the face a wek ago when I bought two optical cables and clocked via ADAT clock. I can't believe the punchy bass and wider stereo image I have now. It is absolutely no imagination. All the harsh treble calmed down, the bass impact multiplied and the steeo image improved alot. I feel like in heaven!

I just wanted you all to know. I am now a big believer!
Best Regards

EDIT:
I don't know exactly why the difference is so big between SPDIF and ADAT clocking. Someone who can shine in and explain why this is the case?

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Post by punkrockdude » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:50 am

Bump. Anyone know why ADAT sync/clock changes the sound so much more for the better than if using SPDIF protocol? Regards

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:13 am

I have no idea either, maybe it's how each clock signal is getting sent. Maybe one's more prone to error or something. Anyone?

Just go with that sounds best to you. Try the word clock as well.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Mon May 30, 2011 11:44 pm

no idea about the adat sync thing here, but i have a brc i was just thinking of using for my 828mkIIs. just wish i went up to 96k. 48k, it is i guess. from the looks of this thread. using an external clock at 48k should sound better than the internal clocks at 96k, anyhow.

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:03 am

yeah, i actually have an 828mk3 clocked to an RME ADI-2 via ADAT and as soon as I did it there was a noticeable improvement. it was an awesome revelation.