Sonalksis Free-G plug-in

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:53 pm

JamesHE wrote:I think that the metering goes above 0 is significant. or is it? Anyway I've had this installed for a while but hadn't actually tried it out.
Yes, that's my favorite part of it.

I've been trying to record at reasonable levels lately (i.e. not pinning levels on the way into PT tracks), and finding myself annoyed at PT metering when tracking. For a signal at -12dB from 0dB (full scale digital aka FSD), the meter's graphic is already halfway down. If your converters are calibrated at -20dB, as mine are, that -12dB means it's already at +8 in the analog world! And on PT's meters, that's looking like weak a signal!

PT's meters are helpful when mixing and tweaking your headroom, but when tracking they're just misleading. Free-G gives much friendlier feedback when tracking.

Leigh

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:00 pm

Oh, and I forgot. You can insert it on a master fader and use it for balance/panning and decent metering as well. (You can't pan/balance a master fader channel with PT).

Roger

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:48 am

rydberg wrote:
Rodgre wrote: By the way, Digidesign, it sure is neat to be able to color-code my tracks, but come on! Why no phase invert on the mixer channels?
+1

P.
The phase inversion switches on 'real' consoles was there to flip pins 2 and pins 3 on an XLR connector.

There is no need to do so with digital audio.

But I agree, a phase flip could be a standard feature. Using a stock digirack plug to flip phase shifts your signal by two samples AND 180 degrees- which with bass tones is alot.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:56 am

Rodgre wrote:Oh, and I forgot. You can insert it on a master fader and use it for balance/panning and decent metering as well. (You can't pan/balance a master fader channel with PT).
That's usually what I use it for. The metering is better than my DAW. And better than ProTools as well, unless it's improved a lot recently...

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:37 am

I use that thing all the time towards the end of the mixing process. +1.

imdrecordings
alignin' 24-trk

Post by imdrecordings » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Wasn't this thing made to give people using Digital Performer, Logic and PT a 32 or 64bit floating point mixer/fader?
-Scott

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

freeG is nice and good

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:07 am

It's good for lightning fast volume control when you there's heavy automation going on and you don't feel like fiddling around with the sequencer on all the tracks you want to raise globally...
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock