PCI-card based system - out of the box / firewire conversion

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

PCI-card based system - out of the box / firewire conversion

Post by stevebozz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:54 pm

I might be in la la land with this one, but figured it was worth asking.

Anyone try to rig a PCI interface or two (say two Delta 1010's) into a box that accepts PCI but outputs firewire. Something that could plug into a laptop? Maybe it's possible to convert an old desktop case into some sort of external pci holder for laptops. Maybe folks have done this to get things to work on macs, which other than the big G4/G5 towers, don't take PCI.

I'm thinking about the longevity of my 1010, if I should grab another 1010 while I have an opportunity, or am I setting myself up for being stuck to a desktop forever with my interfaces.

Thanks!
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:26 pm

no super-tech's who've pulled this together or thought about it?
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:48 pm

Something like that would be pretty tricky and require its own software drivers. It wouldn't just be a plug into the firewire port and use the regular maudio drivers. you would either have to completely rewritte the drivers to accept the information over firewire rather than PCI (although. . .the firewire is going over a PCI bus ANYWAY. . .hmmm. . .still. . .) or have some kind of "firewire to PC" driver.

either way, I don't think it'll be a reality any time soon. I always thought it would be neat to have a PCMCIA "audiowire" card for motu devices like the 24/io and stuff.

-James
HWJLHC?

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:43 pm

you can buy external pci boxes for laptops but they're very very not cheap. you might also be able to use something like FXteleport but I'm not sure if that's vsts only or what. audio over lan? google that up.