Mic stand Parts?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Neve Studer
audio school graduate

Mic stand Parts?

Post by Neve Studer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:36 pm

This is as prosaic as it gets, but I'm trying to fix a bunch of broken mic stands, and I can't find any parts.

in particular, I have a number of regular small AKG style boom stands that are missing one of two boom clutch parts. One is the part of the boom that screws onto the base, and through which the bolt passes, a flat O with a stand mount. The other piece is the rod that passes through the "nut", and allows you to get torque as you tighten the boom assembly.

Back maybe 10 years ago, there was a company called Black Audio Devices that would sell any part, and kits of common parts. I can't find them or anything like it. It's just so crazy to junk a good stand for the lack of one part.

Anyone?
"I know that it needs strings, that I do know."

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:54 pm

I actually just saw some stand parts for sale at You Do It Electronics near Boston....

Roger

Neve Studer
audio school graduate

Post by Neve Studer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:05 pm

Rodgre wrote:I actually just saw some stand parts for sale at You Do It Electronics near Boston....

Roger
Thanks- That's actually doable, though it's about 40 minutes each way... I admit I was hoping for mail order, but I appreciate the information.

(edit for sounding less like a baby)

hulahalau
gettin' sounds

Black Audio

Post by hulahalau » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:26 pm

Black audio went out of business a couple of years ago, i remember seeing the web site announcement.

Neve Studer
audio school graduate

Re: Black Audio

Post by Neve Studer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:13 pm

hulahalau wrote:Black audio went out of business a couple of years ago, i remember seeing the web site announcement.
I was pretty sure they went out of business. But why doesn't anyone sell these parts? I went to U-Do-it. they had some atlas parts, but not the ones I am looking for. Anyone else have this problem? I am thinking that for the piece you hold onto to tighten the boom, there's probably a substitute. A thin bolt would work but it'd be unpleasant to grip.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:02 pm

I know Full Compass has a buncha parts for Atlas. I know that the threads at the top of an Atlas stand tube are usually 7/8" dia and then you can screw an adapter on there that goes from 7/8" dia to the standard US 5/8" dia. for a mic clip. Maybe the AKG stands have that same 7/8" thread on their tubes and you can make an Atlas clutch outa parts? Maybe the AKG tubes are 5/8" on top and there is a clutch/boom arm holder that will work with your current booms. Maybe you just gotta bite the bullet and get new boom arms that fit your stand tubes.

google up Atlas and check their online catalog of parts and see if they make something that you could work with. Their catalog was the only place I could find the female 7/8" x male 5/8" adapter for my old Atlas booms. If Atlas makes it, Full Compass can get it.

For that nut handle thingy...go to the local hardware store and get a new clutch bolt, and a plastic handle with a threaded brass insert that matches the new bolt. My local hardware store sell this kinda stuff and several times a year I get a few bolt/handle combinations so I have them on hand to repair the inevitable stripped bolts. Once you have a steel bolt and brass nut, you're less likely to strip the bolt than steel nut/steel bolt. Also the brass nut on the steel bolt will tend to grab better than steel on steel.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Neve Studer
audio school graduate

Post by Neve Studer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:17 pm

djimbe wrote:
For that nut handle thingy...go to the local hardware store and get a new clutch bolt, and a plastic handle with a threaded brass insert that matches the new bolt. My local hardware store sell this kinda stuff and several times a year I get a few bolt/handle combinations so I have them on hand to repair the inevitable stripped bolts. Once you have a steel bolt and brass nut, you're less likely to strip the bolt than steel nut/steel bolt. Also the brass nut on the steel bolt will tend to grab better than steel on steel.
Thanks- I haven't seen a plastic handle with a brass insert at my hardware store, but that gives me hope that I can find one.

I don't think Full Sail has the part I want. I don't think atlas sells it either.

Thanks for the input everyone.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:29 pm

Neve Studer wrote: Thanks- I haven't seen a plastic handle with a brass insert at my hardware store, but that gives me hope that I can find one.
Look here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1576

this is a good place that has oddball stuff for the creative. Look at the bottom of this page for a link to other kinds of knobs and handles. You'd have to ask someone there whether any or all have brass inserts 'cause I don't see them marked as such. Do yourself a favor and get the "thru hole" type. Your bolt length don't matter then. Good luck...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Neve Studer
audio school graduate

Post by Neve Studer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:44 pm

djimbe wrote:
Neve Studer wrote: Thanks- I haven't seen a plastic handle with a brass insert at my hardware store, but that gives me hope that I can find one.
Look here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1576

this is a good place that has oddball stuff for the creative. Look at the bottom of this page for a link to other kinds of knobs and handles. You'd have to ask someone there whether any or all have brass inserts 'cause I don't see them marked as such. Do yourself a favor and get the "thru hole" type. Your bolt length don't matter then. Good luck...
Thanks! at $1.39 each, certainly worth a shot.