use a cymbal stand as a mic stand?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ringocola
audio school

use a cymbal stand as a mic stand?

Post by ringocola » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:27 pm

sorry if this isn't the right place to post this...

ok, so I'm a drummer...just getting into some recording. it's always seemed odd to me that mic stands and cymbal stands (which serve a similar purpose with the exception of what they hold) are designed so differently. I'm having a hard time finding mic stands for my drum overheads that will work for me. they need to be very sturdy, yet compact enough to fit into the tight space I'm working with. It occurred to me that I have some cymbal boom stands which would be perfect (since the size of the tripod base can be adjusted unlike most mic stands)...if only I could mount a mic clip on the end instead of a cymbal.

so I've looked everywhere for some sort of adapter that will convert the threaded end of a cymbal stand (8mm I think) to the correct size for a mic clip (5/8 inch?). this has to exist, but I can't find it anywhere! anybody have an idea of how I can do this? hasn't anybody else done this? why not?

and just to be clear, I don't wanna put a mic on a cymbal stand that also has a cymbal on it. I want to be able to screw the clip right onto the tip of the stand where you would normally screw the wing-nut to hold down the cymbal.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:44 pm

There are several options you could investigate.

If the cymbal tilters can be taken apart suitably, you could replace the ends of them with 3/8" eye bolts...and I think they're the interior size of those little brass Euro mic-stand adapters.

You could get a machine shop to make the part you want out of brass...I've never seen one from a store...I've seen wingnuts welded to some 5/8"s tubing to make a similar apparattus.

Finally, there are a bunch of devices that allow you to clamp a mic onto other stuff. Look closer at the following:
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=MPC10
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=KM237
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=TM03

Atlas used to make an fairly elegant one, but I don't see it on the BSW site this evening.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:53 pm

gaffer tape!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

ringocola
audio school

Post by ringocola » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 pm

The Scum wrote: If the cymbal tilters can be taken apart suitably, you could replace the ends of them with 3/8" eye bolts...and I think they're the interior size of those little brass Euro mic-stand adapters.
hmm...I like that idea a lot. I'll have to see if I can get it to work. could I skip a step and use a 5/8" eye bolt? does that exist?
The Scum wrote: You could get a machine shop to make the part you want out of brass...I've never seen one from a store...I've seen wingnuts welded to some 5/8"s tubing to make a similar apparattus.
I can't believe nobody sells this. is it that strange of an idea? seems logical to me.
The Scum wrote: Finally, there are a bunch of devices that allow you to clamp a mic onto other stuff.
yeah, I really wanna avoid clamping something on. I guess I just have my mind set on screwing it onto the stand now. but your other suggestions are great, thanks a lot.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:17 pm

I think most of the reason is that cymbal stands don't usually get to the height we need for drum overheads. But if you're determined to do it and the height thing isn't an issue, then a clamp-on adapter seems like an easy way to go, especially since it will add another level of adjustability, and maybe a little extra reach too. I have a couple of these On-Stage MSA-9508 deals that are handy for adding an extra mic to a mic stand, clamping onto a drum stand (under snare, under cymbals, tom mics, etc.), or wherever I need one.
Otherwise, I think your best bet is to find a well-stocked hardware store, bring in the top to a cymbal stand and a mic clip and tell them you're looking for a thread adapter to fit the clip onto the stand.
That will be hard because cymbal stands are indeed 8mm while mic stands are 5/8-inch.
If you find one, let us know.

-Jeremy

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:48 pm

hmm...I like that idea a lot. I'll have to see if I can get it to work. could I skip a step and use a 5/8" eye bolt? does that exist?
I never met one in the wild...doesn't mean they don't exist.

You could make a similar deal using a threaded 5/8" tube, and put a hole in the end of it, for the adjuster bolt to go through.
I can't believe nobody sells this. is it that strange of an idea? seems logical to me.
It seems like the kind of thing that Gibraltar might make. But I've never seen one.

I think they used to make a mic arm that was like their cymbal mini-booms, just with mic threads on the end.

I think the problem is that a decent cymbal boom stand runs about $100, while a decent mic stand runs about $40. You'd only ever need one if you've got extra cymbal stands hanging out.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:25 am

My favorite mic stand at the moment is an old Pearl cymbal stand. I took the entire top portion (from the clutch up, including the boom) forma broken boom stand and replaced the top portion of the cymbal stand. It works great. I get really good height and reach with it because of the boom arm. And it's super stable.

If you just need to connect a mic to the end of the cymbal arm, I go with the Professor's suggestion and take the parts in question to a good old mom and pop hardware store-- the kind where only one guy knows where things are. Those places always seem to have exactly what I need-- after I've spent 3 hours scouring the Home Depot and Lowe's.

Good Luck!

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 am

seems like with an old mic stand, a hacksaw, some bolts that fit into the cymbal stand tilter, some epoxy and a and die set you could make these pretty easily:

Just cut the mic stand tube into 3" lengths, thread one end to fit a standard mic holder, then epoxy a bolt inside with the thread sticking out.

ringocola
audio school

Post by ringocola » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:58 am

thanks guys...lots of good suggestions. I'll let you know what I end up with if anybody is interested.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:15 pm

I've been using a couple drum stand / mic stand combinations live for years now. Basically, I used the base of a cymbal stand and put the mic stand with boom (but minus the metal circular weight at the bottom, obviously) right into the cymbal stand. Works like a charm and the cymbal stand base is much more flexable and also sturdier than most cheapo mic stands.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

mrniss
audio school graduate

pearl

Post by mrniss » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:04 am

i've used these gibraltar clamps a few times to put mics in odd spots with combinations of other micstand pieces...

you might try taking a mic boom off its tilter and threading the bolt through a cymbal tilter (make sure to include the rubber guy in between)... the teeth on most cymbal tilters makes this work really well.

[silly anecdote] someone gave me a bunch of old hardware once, and i had this ridiculous "combo" stand that would support an inside kick mic and two rack tom mics (if there was space for them) all coming from one double braced base. frankenstand? 8) [/silly anecdote]

or of course as suggested, gaffer tape :mrgreen:

PeterSawatzky
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by PeterSawatzky » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:57 am

You know the little bracket that comes with most pop screens? I put my pop screen on its own stand so I clamped the bracket onto a cymbal stand to mount a snare mic. Works well and costs nothing (assuming you have a pop filter lying around).

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:20 pm

my first mic stand was a floor lamp stand with a mic clip duct-taped to it.