reverb for belle & sebastian

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

KyleHale
gettin' sounds

reverb for belle & sebastian

Post by KyleHale » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:23 am

This question maybe a shot in the dark... I was wondering if anyone had any information on what type of reverb/set up was used on the album, "if you re feeling sinister" by B&S? The album is such a lively and warm sounding album... none of the reverb sounds artificial at all. Me thinks a lot of the reverb is in fact natural, which is maybe why the album sounds so good. Does anyone else think this or agree with me?

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:21 pm

One of my favorite bands. It does sound like a lot of natural reverb, with probably some plates or springs. Their production values were very old-school.
"Music is an oversimplification of the situation we are in." - John Cage

KyleHale
gettin' sounds

Post by KyleHale » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:40 pm

I just emailed CaVa studios about my question, where B&S recorded the album. I will post any information they give me with their permission.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Re: reverb for belle & sebastian

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:59 pm

KyleHale wrote:This question maybe a shot in the dark... I was wondering if anyone had any information on what type of reverb/set up was used on the album, "if you re feeling sinister" by B&S? The album is such a lively and warm sounding album... none of the reverb sounds artificial at all. Me thinks a lot of the reverb is in fact natural, which is maybe why the album sounds so good. Does anyone else think this or agree with me?
Here is a list of the Reverb units they have currently at CaVa:

Audicon 'The Plate' EMT with Remote
Franz EMT Digital Reverberator
Lexicon 480L Twin Stereo
Lexicon PCM70
Lexicon MPX1
TC M5000 Dual Engine Digital Audio Mainframe
Klark Tecknik DN780
Yamaha SPX90

Alexi
audio school graduate

Post by Alexi » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:26 pm

.....i believe tony doogan did produce some of the belle and sebastian records....does he post on tape op?

KyleHale
gettin' sounds

Post by KyleHale » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:28 am

here is the response I received from Geoff:

hi kyle,

my name is geoff allan, i'm an engineer at Cava. I worked on tigermilk, but missed out on if you're feeling... The main studio floor helped with all records recorded at Cava. A lovely wide high and spacious room with an oak floor.(much like a badmington court in build) also we have an Audicon "The Plate" reverb. A beautifully rich and transparent plate reverb that goes up to around 4.5 secs.

I couldn't say for sure as Tony Doogan recorded the record in question, but i'm sure these would've come into play. Obviously spring reverbs take their part, whether in Fender amps or the AKG double spring that we also had at the time of IYFS.

There's also a 480L (lexicon) but it tends to colour ambient recordings i.e. if the mics aren't too close to the instruments.

If you have anymore questions, please drop me a line,

Geoff

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:31 am

Here is a really cool Spring Reverb I've had my eye on for a while. Find the Tape Op review of it on their site.

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:15 am

if yr into B&S track down the song Lazy Line Painter Jane, recorded live in a church hall, it's astonishing, total wall of sound stuff, you can hear bits of piano in there that are just sitting under the organ and bass pumping along with no ego, just another part of The Sound, and the reverb is all about the room... I can't recomend it highly enough.

Kudos must go to the drummer who manages to keep the dynamics together so well as the drums move from a small distant tap to a thundering smash in the final moments. Really controlled and fitting stuff

totally aces
INDIE TILL I DIE

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:43 am

pantone247 wrote:if yr into B&S track down the song Lazy Line Painter Jane
Yess!! My favorite B&S song! The 'verb on that definitely comes from no preset.

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

b&s church sound

Post by ideaofnorth » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:55 pm

some great footage of the church session on the documentary dvd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW425JUSTDU
skip to around 2:45

those 3 early ep's still kill me.
pantone247 wrote:if yr into B&S track down the song Lazy Line Painter Jane, recorded live in a church hall, it's astonishing, total wall of sound stuff, you can hear bits of piano in there that are just sitting under the organ and bass pumping along with no ego, just another part of The Sound, and the reverb is all about the room... I can't recomend it highly enough.

Kudos must go to the drummer who manages to keep the dynamics together so well as the drums move from a small distant tap to a thundering smash in the final moments. Really controlled and fitting stuff

totally aces

asmara
steve albini likes it

B & S have nice reverb indeed.

Post by asmara » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Theres also some very nice reverb going on all over the Life Pursuit. I cannot recall the title just now but one track that begins with an opening guitar with a reverb that is superb.