Advertising the exact location of your studio?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Advertising the exact location of your studio?

Post by theposterkid » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:34 am

What do you guys think about revealing the exact address of your studio? It seems to me that I wouldn't want that information posted on the my studio's website, but I have noticed that some do.

Thoughts?

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:32 am

This decision, of course, is totally up to you and I would say there is no right or wrong answer. In general, I think you will find, that people operating out of their residence will not advertise their location whereas people who operate out of commercial space do. In the commercial realm, walk-up tours are generally welcomed, but I wouldn't want a bunch of rappers showing up at my house at 2am....
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:45 am

... I wouldn't want a bunch of bluegrass musicians showing up at my house at 2AM either.

I think the safe thing is to have a PO Box for correspondence, and give out the address when you've already made contact and want to schedule a meet up.

I don't think I'd advertise the address, unless I had a secretary or at least an outer office buffer zone for unexpected visitors.

Roger

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:51 am

leftofthedial - nice sig

security of your site is probably a factor - "hmmm, for the past few days there hasn't been a car parked in front of the garage where that guys does his recording "
Village Idiot.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:32 am

If you're working out of your home, I'd probably steer away from posting my address. As for commercial facilities, I could go either way, but eventually people are going to know where you are.

In my old building I was once in the middle of a guitar overdub for a shoegazer band, sitting with the band in the control room (which was more or less open to the front door) and in the middle of the take, I looked up from the console and realized I was surrounded by 6 or 7 neighborhod kids. They just walked in. Everyone in the neighborhood knew that the empty building behind the bakery was a recording studio.

That's also one of my favorite memories of that place-- you should have seen the guitarist's face when he looked up at the end of the take and saw a bunch of kids cheering!

I'm lucky in a way since I promote myself as a mobile/location guy now. I do sessions in my home, but I'm not in a position where my studio location is entirely necessary.

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:33 am

... I wouldn't want a bunch of bluegrass musicians showing up at my house at 2AM either.
True, but it has been my experience from running my store and doing a lot of late night gigs, that rappers do show up at 2am and pound on the door looking for a tour of the place, and blue-grassers etc. do not. They show up at 3pm.....

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:58 pm

leftofthedial wrote:
True, but it has been my experience from running my store and doing a lot of late night gigs, that rappers do show up at 2am and pound on the door looking for a tour of the place, and blue-grassers etc. do not. They show up at 3pm.....
...High, and after they told you they'd be there at 2.

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:43 pm

...High, and after they told you they'd be there at 2.
Yup!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:50 pm

I don't have my address on my site or on my front door. I don't have a sign either. And I'm running a comercial facility. It's a bit odd because the live room door goes right to the sidwalk. It would be really easy for some one to walk in and take mics, or guitars or a snare or something. I figure if you're supposed to know where the place is I'll tell you where it is.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:18 am

Didn't Larry himself have a big "JACKPOT!" sign in front of his space forever? Is it still there?

I'm curious if that ever caused headaches or weirdness at all, or did it drive business?

[<|>]

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Advertising the exact location of your studio?

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:45 pm

andrewh wrote:What do you guys think about revealing the exact address of your studio? It seems to me that I wouldn't want that information posted on the my studio's website, but I have noticed that some do.

Thoughts?
Third Monk is in the phone book. It has to be. I've not got a sign out front, but this is in a residential neighborhood. The address is on the website too. Why would you not post an address? Do you not want clients?

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: Advertising the exact location of your studio?

Post by Rodgre » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:54 pm

@?,*???&? wrote: Third Monk is in the phone book. It has to be. I've not got a sign out front, but this is in a residential neighborhood. The address is on the website too. Why would you not post an address? Do you not want clients?
Speaking for myself, I do not want to post an address mostly for security reasons. If someone wants to book a legitimate session, I give them an address and explicit directions right to our door. Otherwise, why would someone need to know that there is a studio there? I'd rather the rest of the world NOT know the address. I don't expect or want surprise guests. If someone is trying to find a place to record their next album, I don't think they would do it by driving around town to knock on the doors.

Security-wise, I don't want anyone but who I choose to know where the studio is, where my house is, what color my car is or where my band's rehearsal space is. Why would anyone else need/want to know? Why risk having someone break into the studio while you're away? I don't see a need for anyone but someone that you've already had contact with to know where the studio is.

The question of "Do you not want clients?": I will say with complete certainty that not one of my clients over the past seventeen years of engineering has ever approached me by showing up at the door. We also are not listed in the phone book and don't advertise. This doesn't work for most studios, but for us, it's been the best way to maintain a certain quality to the work that comes out of the studio. Again, this is my specific circumstance, and this is not the way most studios operate. We get all of our projects through networking, word of mouth, credits on CDs and reputation. Mind you, when it's slow, it's painful, but when it's busy, I'm thankful that I have a tight control over the projects I take, very rarely working on something that I don't love.

Roger