The Cold call

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ElMosca
pluggin' in mics

Post by ElMosca » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:42 pm

leigh wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:... Since I have Pro Tools, then it means I have to do the 2-step process. Real-time in to Pro Tools, then real-time bounce out of Pro Tools.
Wait, why are you going realtime out of Pro Tools if you're using your computer's internal CD burner?
True, once you have stereo audio tracks recorded from the LP in your Pro Tools session, you can split them up and render them to audio files in "computer time".

Stereo bounces are real-time in PT, but they are only necessary for multitrack sessions.

And the reduced rate is a good idea, because these jobs really can be done during dowtime. I also always advice my clients that if they want to transfer a commercial LP, they should check whether they can find a CD release in their local shop because that option will always be less expensive.

Most of the job offers I get are from seniors wanting to transfer some unique recording of a family member, or other historic artifact. Breaks my heart, because I've been quoting them my regular hourly rate. I will try lowering my prices for these jobs.

Thanks for the suggestion,
++aldo

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:38 am

ElMosca wrote:
leigh wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:... Since I have Pro Tools, then it means I have to do the 2-step process. Real-time in to Pro Tools, then real-time bounce out of Pro Tools.
Wait, why are you going realtime out of Pro Tools if you're using your computer's internal CD burner?
True, once you have stereo audio tracks recorded from the LP in your Pro Tools session, you can split them up and render them to audio files in "computer time".

Stereo bounces are real-time in PT, but they are only necessary for multitrack sessions.

And the reduced rate is a good idea, because these jobs really can be done during dowtime. I also always advice my clients that if they want to transfer a commercial LP, they should check whether they can find a CD release in their local shop because that option will always be less expensive.

Most of the job offers I get are from seniors wanting to transfer some unique recording of a family member, or other historic artifact. Breaks my heart, because I've been quoting them my regular hourly rate. I will try lowering my prices for these jobs.

Thanks for the suggestion,
++aldo
Here is something I did not even think about. You guys are right, I could be running these sessions exclusively in the 16-bit, 44.1Khz domain and then merely take those AIFF files and burn them to disc.

The last transfer I did though needed some azimuth/phase help. Left and right signals were 180 degrees out. I was able to improve on that and therefore needed the subsequent bounce time.

Also, I am applying some stereo buss levelling to get the signal level up- which I technically don't need to be doing.

ElMosca
pluggin' in mics

Post by ElMosca » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:53 am

@?,*???&? wrote: The last transfer I did though needed some azimuth/phase help. Left and right signals were 180 degrees out. I was able to improve on that and therefore needed the subsequent bounce time.

Also, I am applying some stereo buss levelling to get the signal level up- which I technically don't need to be doing.
But even if you do that, you could (1) render the effect to the audio region with Audiosuite, (2) split the songs (easy to do by eye), (3) rename the regions, and (4) "Export Selected as Files" (from the region drawer menu) and save yourself the bounce that way. I'd still charge for the time spent processing the audio, though.

Best,
++aldo

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:46 am

don't tie up your main rig! Install a simple audio program like garageband or cool edit pro / audacity on another machine that might be laying around.. maybe at home even. Since you're going cassette to digital and there's no overdubs or processing, you could even use a walkman plugged into a consumer audio card, no worries about latency.

You could be xfering while cooking dinner! (for those who don't have their rig in their living space)
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Every once in a while I'll transfer one of my prized vinyl records to cd. The thing is, I can't just walk away while I'm transfering. Murphy's law states that when I walk away the needle will jump. Plus, I'm pretty fanatical about cleaning the record, removing pops and cleaning the needle between songs. In the end it takes at least 1 1/2 hours to do a 40 minute record. I would look at that as a restoration/preservation job. I suppose charging $20.00 a side would be worth it. Also, if it's a cool record you get to keep a copy for yourself.
17 cassettes at $15.00 a side would bring in $510.00 to @?,*???&?. That's $20.00/hour for 25.5 hour job. Before editing. Even at being able to walk away that's a lot of tape flipping every 45 minutes. I've made much less money working a lot harder in my life but that's some mundane shit right there. My 2 cents [which= 3.6 seconds @ $20.00/hour]. :D
-Matt
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

ElMosca
pluggin' in mics

Post by ElMosca » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:17 pm

So, today I had a chance to test my new pricing for transfers.

[phone rings]

Me: Hello? How may I help you?

Nice Old Lady: I need to transfer some music from Cassette to CD and am inquiring about your rates.

Me: May I ask what is on the cassette? Because if a CD version is available at the record shop, you'd be better off buying a copy there.

NOL: No. This is unique. This music is not available on CD. I called another fellow who does this kind of service in Santa Rosa, but I'd rather not drive there. You're in town.

Me: Well, my rate for this transfer are $xx per casette side. How many casettes do you have?

NOL: Well, I have more than ten, but I was thinking of doing just one at first.

Me: OK, when do you want to do it?

NOL: Let me give you a call back.

Me: Great, let me know. Bye.

[click]

I guess it's back to recording farts.
++aldo