How big is JACKPOT?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kevin206
gettin' sounds

How big is JACKPOT?

Post by kevin206 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:20 pm

So I'm looking at the picture of Jackpot in the latest TapeOp. This place looks really small. And I also see a window air conditioning unit. My question is How tight is/was the soon to be old location of Jackpot. What about heat and air? How was that handled?

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:26 am

Hey buddy, its how you swing it, okay!?

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:35 pm

Kevin Kitchel wrote:Hey buddy, its how you swing it, okay!?
sounds like kevin206 has a similar space and is trying to figure out logistics. . .
HWJLHC?

Gummy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Gummy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:15 pm

The picture in Tape Op is deceiving. It was not real big, but in Tape op the white sided part is only the lounge and office. The green part at the back is the live room and control room. The control room had plenty of space and the live room was nice, but not huge. There are pix on the web site that can show you the layout. Most of the treatment was done with real traps.
It may be a garage, but it doesn't sound like one.

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:24 pm

I really like seeing pics of other studios and setup to get ideas. A couple of my favorite albums were recorded at Jackpot and I love the sound, but I was under the impression that it would take a much bigger space than what I was seeing. My next studio area has gone full circle back to the same house that I started in more than 15 years ago. This time I'll return to my 2nd studio incarnation and be up in the attic. You know the kind...Low sloped ceiling, big window air conditioning. I'm always curious of how people overcome these situations, especially a renowned studio like Jackpot.

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:43 pm

I was seriously kidding, but if you want some advice about DIY heating and cooling measures, check out this forum.

And size isn't as important as how you use it, right guys? :oops:

steveund
audio school graduate

Post by steveund » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:47 am

um....yea. Lets just say I lost some........clients, yea that's the word I lost some "clients" to that type of thinking.

No, just kidding. I agree, I started using the Zoom MRS1608 CD and alot of people would say stuff like "Well, it sounds like crap, because its a cheap recorder." But when I started using it, things were sounding great, we put a single out that totaly floord our fans and the other bands we were performing with.

So its just how you use what you have.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Do you mean "How big was Jackpot!?"

It was small, control room and live room were 15' x 15' or so. AC and heating were both impossible. Sweat in the summer and freeze in the winter. How do you get good sounds in a small space? Listen and learn I guess...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

kyleharvey
audio school

Post by kyleharvey » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:07 pm

"Listen and learn I guess..."

Best advice for any/every studio situation imaginable... no matter what the size or budget.

We actually just recieved one of the best compliments ever, in my opinion. A client of ours said that our studio set up reminded him of Jackpot. I just about poo'd in my pants.

Our AC/heat situation is pretty much non-existant. Fans, window units, and electric heaters stay on until someone says, "Rollin"
When something breaks it makes a beautiful sound.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:26 pm

I can't imagine giving an answer to making do with a smaller room in a post! There's so many ways to deal with it. It's all about illusion anyway.

One trick I did use: a spaced pair of erthworks mics, pointing toward a far wall and away from the drums, recorded with a large amount of compression and then blended into the mix. I got it to a point where people thought the room was much larger than it was.
www.larry-crane.com

K.Hendriksen
studio intern

Post by K.Hendriksen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:53 pm

i miss the old jackpot, never went there but so many amazing things happened in that building. i wish the new jackpot much sucess.
"young artists have got to starve"

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:40 pm

Larry, your new studio looks great!!!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:04 pm

"I miss the old jackpot, never went there but so many amazing things happened in that building. i wish the new jackpot much sucess."

We had no choice in moving out, as it's being sold and probably turned into condos. Amazing things only happened there because some amazing people booked time there. It can happen in the new place as well.
www.larry-crane.com

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:08 pm

"I miss the old jackpot, never went there but so many amazing things happened in that building. i wish the new jackpot much sucess."

We had no choice in moving out, as it's being sold and probably turned into condos. Amazing things only happened there because some amazing people booked time there. It can happen in the new place as well.
www.larry-crane.com