Wanting to get into tape - Tascam 388?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DinosaurSR
gimme a little kick & snare

Wanting to get into tape - Tascam 388?

Post by DinosaurSR » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:51 pm

I've really been feeling the itch and desire to get into tape-based recording for a while, and breaking out the old Portastudio isn't quite enough to satisfy it anymore. I've used DAW's for years and years, but I'd really like to start getting into tape and eventually incorporating it into my setup.

The Tascam 388 seems like a great solution; it's basically a gigantic portastudio, but that actually uses reel-to-reel tape. The idea of everything being interconnected and integrated - the mixer and the tape machine - is very attractive, as it seems like a good way to get "into tape" without just buying a standalone machine and then having to get a mixer to go wth it and all of that other stuff - a lot of cash outlay, space, and general commitment.

Is the 388 a good choice for someone in my position? They only go for ~$500'ish on Ebay. What would you suggest as an alternative for "getting into" tape? Are there any other all-in-one solutions out there?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:28 am

those things are soo much fun and sound awesome. you won't be dissapointed.

John
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:25 am

i agree with john. i've had mine for two years or so, and it's the best. i had a 424 before that, and yeah, big jump in sound. but getting one is still a commitment, and it will still take up plenty of space and break your back when you move it.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:37 am

totally rules. the quality is great for the price, and it's organized pretty intuitively. i had one for a long time and i'm thinking of getting one again for my house and to transfer and remix some old stuff...

DinosaurSR
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DinosaurSR » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:16 am

Awesome. Now I just have to watch Ebay and Craigslist to find a reasonably local one. :wink:

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Uh, I have a fairly nice one I am willing to part w/ cheap if you are anywhere Nothern CA.

PM me or send me an email at ttranfaglia AT mac dot com (@mac.com)
I have some really horrible gear!!!

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:32 pm

I don't know how much you have to spend but TSR 8's can be had for under a grand these days usually under 850.00. They have a lot of nice features and sound decent. The only thing I don't like about them is that it's all RCA. You can spend a bit more and get an Otari 8 track which be all balanced and still half inch format. But what ever you get you'll probably dig the heck outta it. Tape Rocks.....
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:29 am

To clarify...you can get an otari 5050 for around $500, but there is no telling what condition it will be in and you will need to budget another $500 to have it aligned and cleaned up, and MRL tape, maybe a new pinch roller or something like that.

If you go the 388 route, be prepared for some of these types of expenses and you'll need to have tech savy or know someone close who is. If not, you'll have to pack it up and take it somewhere to get it worked on.

The 5050 is a tank, but it still needs upkeep unless something sort of f-ed up is what you want to begin with.

One channel on my 5050 started clipping within the first year I had it setup and still haven't gotten it fixed because of the hassel and the $50/hr to the tech cost.

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:59 am

Don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems like the right place to ask this question.

I'm considering buying a tape machine for passing my drum sub mix through before it goes into DP. Is there a 2, 4 or 8-track option under $500 including alignment, repairs, etc. that anyone can recommend. Is this something that I should even consider? Is this a bad investment?

I love the sound of my drums in my mixer but the best part of that sound doesn't translate into DP. I'm thinking that is due to a/d conversion. I'm using a MOTU 1224 into DP 4.6. But it just seems to thin out the sound. It makes it seem brittle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:44 am

so you will submix onto 2 trk, then DP?

There has to be some sort of 1/4 inch out there for under $500, but again like I said above, if you don't know who is selling it to you...if its not garunteed to be in working shape you should be mentally prepared (willing) to spend more money to get it setup.

The way I thought about this when I got my machine: with all of the controversy over digital and tape and all the talk about "warm" and "vintage," if figured I could not afford not to have worked on some sort of tape machine. Its not until you actually start pushing the signal onto tape that you will ever understand what people are meaning when they talk about saturation...and you won't really understand why certain plugins hit (kinda) or miss a modeling of that sound.

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:21 am

Yes, I do understand the tape sound. Even my old 4-track tapes have a sound that is sorely lacking in my DAW.
so you will submix onto 2 trk, then DP?
I may be wrong but I think subbing to tape before DP is the right way to do it. I haven't done this yet but it seems logical to me to capture the transients pre conversion rather than lose them in conversion and try to "warm" that signal later.

I'd much rather use an 8-track and keep each channel separate but budget doesn't allow. Unless there is an 8-track out there that I can get in good working order for under $600. ???

I'm even considering using my 4-track as a plug-in pre A/D conversion. Bad idea? I have the MG614 in great condition. It's unbalanced but not too terribly noisy.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:56 am

yes, tape before digital will be best

Burning Ember
audio school

Post by Burning Ember » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:09 pm

I've never heard anything recorded on one of those, but I'm curious why this would be much better than a cassette-based 4 track? Since those are 1/8th inch wide, that gives you 1/32nd inch for each track (which is the same as using 1/4 inch tape divided into 8 tracks). Perhaps it runs at 7.5ips? (I believe cassette 4-track is half that...) Is there something about the tape formula that is superior to a type II or type IV cassette?

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:34 pm

The TSR8 and the Otari 5050 are 1/2 inch format and I'll second the comment that you do need to factor in upkeep/repair unless you have what it takes to work on these things yourself. They're heavy so shipping is a nightmare. Try to find someone local who is dependable which is something I can't even find here in Houston, but I haven't beaten all the bushes yet. If you have the extra time money and space for a tape machine of whatever format I think it's worth it.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

ThunderFaceWizardHead
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ThunderFaceWizardHead » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Burning Ember wrote:I've never heard anything recorded on one of those, but I'm curious why this would be much better than a cassette-based 4 track? Since those are 1/8th inch wide, that gives you 1/32nd inch for each track (which is the same as using 1/4 inch tape divided into 8 tracks). Perhaps it runs at 7.5ips? (I believe cassette 4-track is half that...) Is there something about the tape formula that is superior to a type II or type IV cassette?

Yes it runs at 7.5ips. Having owned a 424 and a 388, I feel the quality of the components are a decent step up as well. Still the leap from 4-track cassette to a 388 isn't a giant one by any means, but the difference is definitely there.