RE-AMP Clarification

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akg414
re-cappin' neve

RE-AMP Clarification

Post by akg414 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:30 am

First off, many thanks to all who helped me out with the MIC-PREAMP/Marshall Cabinet topic!

This brought up another question: I record a guitar part directly from my UA2-610 mic-pre right into Pro Tools and I monitor using amp Farm. (pretty standard). Then, my goal is to get a killer performance, and reamp into my Marshall JTM. When I run this clean/dry signal into my Marshall, I get a TON of nasty noise.

Is this due to balanced/unbalanced patch cables connecting my Pro Tools interface using my patchbay?
- Brad

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:41 am

are you using a reamp box?

if not, you're sending a waaay hot signal to your amp's input.

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:59 am

subatomic pieces wrote:are you using a reamp box?

if not, you're sending a waaay hot signal to your amp's input.
I'm not even sure what one is? My signal chain is this:

Pro Tools 96 interface into a DBX patchbay with "patch-bay" cables (not known if they're balanced or unbalanced). From patchbay right into my Marshall. I get some kind of ??-cycle hum, and a buzzing sound. I don't get this anywhere - nor have I ever gotten it. I think my system is relatively well put together. So I'm thinking I'm re-amping "wrong" ??
- Brad

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:17 am

There are several reamp boxes out there. And, compared to some other things that we spend our money on, they're incredibly cheap for how useful they are. The one I use is about $200 and is called the Little Labs Red Eye.

You'll have plenty of people tell you that you can get by just fine without a Reamp box of some sort. I'm convinced that most of these people have never tried it WITH a reamp box.

You can make it work without one. But, you make many, many sonic sacrifices.
A reamp box will ELIMINATE the problems that you're currently having.

With the Little Labs box, you plug your DAW out into the line in here:

then, take the reamp out from the other side and connect it to your amp. then adjust the reamp level to taste and you're good to go.

this particular box also makes a nice DI.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:22 am

if you own an HD96 interface, you should probably have a real patchbay and know if it is balanced or not...

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:47 am

toaster3000 wrote:if you own an HD96 interface, you should probably have a real patchbay and know if it is balanced or not...

j
Not sure what you mean by "real" patchbay. I have one that is a DBX 48-point rack mount patchbay.
- Brad

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:21 am

Also check into the radial x-amp. It's about $175 and is a cool little unit.

Reamping without a reamp box is so much better than without. It will get rid of all the problems you are having.

farview
tinnitus

Re: RE-AMP Clarification

Post by farview » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:04 am

bradjacob wrote: I record a guitar part directly from my UA2-610 mic-pre right into Pro Tools and I monitor using amp Farm. (pretty standard). Then, my goal is to get a killer performance, and reamp into my Marshall JTM. When I run this clean/dry signal into my Marshall, I get a TON of nasty noise.
This makes more sense now. in the other thread, you made it sound like you took the direct out of the Marshall and just wanted that to play through a 4x12 cabinet. That confused the issue, that wouldn't be straight re-amping. In that scenario, you would already have the distortion and color of the preamp section of the Marshall. It sounded like you were asking how to finish the job by running it through the speaker and micing it.

If you are just recording the guitar into a mic preamp (with an instrument input), then you would need a reamp box to match everything up. That will get rid of all the noise, impedance and level mis-matches as it unbalances the signal.

Greg Nagy
gettin' sounds

Post by Greg Nagy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:42 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:There are several reamp boxes out there. And, compared to some other things that we spend our money on, they're incredibly cheap for how useful they are. The one I use is about $200 and is called the Little Labs Red Eye.

You'll have plenty of people tell you that you can get by just fine without a Reamp box of some sort. I'm convinced that most of these people have never tried it WITH a reamp box.

You can make it work without one. But, you make many, many sonic sacrifices.
A reamp box will ELIMINATE the problems that you're currently having.

With the Little Labs box, you plug your DAW out into the line in here:

then, take the reamp out from the other side and connect it to your amp. then adjust the reamp level to taste and you're good to go.

this particular box also makes a nice DI.

I've heard great things about this unit. Wish I would have caught wind of it, before I bought my Radial direct box. Get to kill two birds with this stone.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:54 pm

Your Radial JDI (passive direct box) will double as a re-amp box easily - just feed a line-level signal into the XLR jack, and take the 1/4" inch out to your amp or pedal.

RTM if you don't believe me....

Greg Nagy
gettin' sounds

Post by Greg Nagy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Aquaman wrote:Your Radial JDI (passive direct box) will double as a re-amp box easily - just feed a line-level signal into the XLR jack, and take the 1/4" inch out to your amp or pedal.

RTM if you don't believe me....
I saw that. Too cool. I am concerned about "keep your level down so it wont overload the transformer..." bit. How low is low?? I would love to save some money...for sure.

g

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:06 am

Greg Nagy wrote: I saw that. Too cool. I am concerned about "keep your level down so it wont overload the transformer..." bit. How low is low?? I would love to save some money...for sure.

g
Since it is meant to go from instrument level to line level, I would assume that sending a line level signal back into it would be the way to go. As long as you aren't one of those "record as hot as you can without clipping" guys, you should be fine.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:22 am

This http://www.reamp.com is a Reamp. Let the reamping experiments begin...
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Greg Nagy
gettin' sounds

Post by Greg Nagy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:00 am

farview wrote:
Greg Nagy wrote: I saw that. Too cool. I am concerned about "keep your level down so it wont overload the transformer..." bit. How low is low?? I would love to save some money...for sure.

g
Since it is meant to go from instrument level to line level, I would assume that sending a line level signal back into it would be the way to go. As long as you aren't one of those "record as hot as you can without clipping" guys, you should be fine.

That sounds cool. That would save me nearly 200 bucks...more for other gear.

:D

g

p.s. my wife is sitting here...and for some reason didn't laugh...