Help Choosing a Mic Pre

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

McPorkChoppy
gimme a little kick & snare

Help Choosing a Mic Pre

Post by McPorkChoppy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:58 am

I need to purchase a mic preamp for my small home studio. I usually don't use more than 2 mics at a time since I don't track drums here. So my question is this.. What sort of mic pre's do you suggest for under a $1,000?
I've been looking at the UA SOLO 610.. But then I started to lean towards a dual pre amp. Are there any good dual(or more) mic pre's for under $1000?
-Also, what are your thoughts on the solo 610?
Thanks,
Daniel

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:38 pm

Dan Alexander makes a nice 1272 clone for around $1000 used (used only since it's discontinued).
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:35 pm

McPorkChoppy

Post by McPorkChoppy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:08 pm

inverseroom wrote:www.hamptone.com
Those looks pretty nice.. However I don't think my guy at the music store could cut me deal on one of those..
Do you own one?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:33 pm

Yes, I have them both...they're very popular around here in part because Scott Hampton is a friend of Larry the TO editor...but mostly because they're wonderful pres. I am sure a few more people will +1 them.

I built mine from the kit, but they're a good deal built, too, IMHO. The tube ones are clean and well rounded, the JFET's more characterful and great for bass DI.

Feedback
ass engineer

Post by Feedback » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:00 pm

If you can find one, these can usually be had for about the $750.00-ish range.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug99/a ... eyvmp2.htm

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:32 pm

inverseroom wrote:www.hamptone.com
+1,000,000

i have the tube version and absolutely love it. i opened it up recently and took these sexy pictures:

i don't think anyone would regret having one or both of scott's pre's.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:42 am

Try one of the Sage SE-1's. They come highly recommended, and you can get them for under $700 per channel (though you'd to spend around $200 extra for the power supply and chassis).

http://sageelectronics.com/se-pre1.html

McPorkChoppy

Post by McPorkChoppy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:47 am

The Hamptone is looking pretty nice to me.. Gives you a little more control than the Sage pre.
Has anyone specifically used the UA Solo 610? I'm curious about it. I don't see them around much, is it worth it just to get the dual 610's instead of a solo?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:44 pm

That Valvetronics pre some other peeps were yakin about in another thread looks tempting http://www.valvotronics.com/valvotronics/d19.php.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:58 pm

McPorkChoppy wrote:The Hamptone is looking pretty nice to me.. Gives you a little more control than the Sage pre.
Has anyone specifically used the UA Solo 610? I'm curious about it. I don't see them around much, is it worth it just to get the dual 610's instead of a solo?
A client that I am working with right now doing a high energy good old overdriven rock and roll record has a solo 610. He's been leaving it here for sessions that we are doing and I'm really enjoying running bass through it especially, but I think that when we really start to do overdubs (we're just on drums now) it's going to wind up being used a whole lot. The bass is definitely going to get printed through that!

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

endupok
pluggin' in mics

FMR RNP Really Nice Preamp $475

Post by endupok » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:07 am

I would also recommend the Really Nice Preamp from FMR. I have been using one of these for many years now and they are very detailed, clean and uncolored. A fantastic value at about $475 new. The RNC is also a great compressor.

From thier website:

"Ugly box. If you look beyond the RNP8380's utilitarian ugliness, you'll see that we opted to throw the money we saved in cosmetics into the quality of the audio electronics. I like having nice-looking gear as much as the next guy, but given the choice between something that sounds nice versus looks nice, the sound wins out everytime."

http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

-c

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:21 am

If you want to spend way under $1000, I like the ART MPA Gold for a good, cheap dual preamp.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:29 am

hard to answer your question without knowing the kind of sounds you like....

the solo 610 is cool. has a vintage grain to it that is really appealing to me.

the RNP is very clean and quality for the cash but not sexy in any way. but it might mean you can pick up another mic or compressor....

you might catch a vintech 1272 on ebay for around $1000 - think i got mine for $900. it's dark and fat sounding. a lot more personality than an RNP.

so - what kind of tone do you want?
the new rules : there are no rules

McPorkChoppy

Post by McPorkChoppy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:24 pm

joninc wrote:hard to answer your question without knowing the kind of sounds you like....

the solo 610 is cool. has a vintage grain to it that is really appealing to me.

the RNP is very clean and quality for the cash but not sexy in any way. but it might mean you can pick up another mic or compressor....

you might catch a vintech 1272 on ebay for around $1000 - think i got mine for $900. it's dark and fat sounding. a lot more personality than an RNP.

so - what kind of tone do you want?
Hmm.. I guess I'm looking for an all around good pre amp. I'll mostly just be using it for guitar, bass, and vocals. I had an RNC I thought it was ok, But I do like having a little more character, I think I may choose the 610 for now, once I get some more money maybe invest in one of the dual tube hamptones.. I'd like to hear those things.