crazy idea

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

crazy idea

Post by ataraxia » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:56 pm

since flash drives are increasing in size/speed these days. has anyone used them for recording files instead of a traditional hard drive. (obviously for just one/a few song(s) at a time) i plan to experiment with it soon , but i was curious if anyone else had and what were the results.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:54 pm

I've used that little Tascam recorder to do some sound effects work. They worked just fine for that except that when we were using a CF-microdrive there was a slight whine audible in the finished track, but with a hard-media CF card, the sound was very clean.
I saw a posting elsewhere that Samsung is introducing a 64-GB flash media card. If the speed is fast enough to support the data throughput, then I imagine that could be used to hold a whole album project... although that's a lot to lose if it falls out of a pocket.

-Jeremy

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:53 pm

flash media is ultra-fast, because it is solid state, no? i've heard of people booting old laptops from flash memory and getting huge speed improvements....

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:51 pm

From what I understand, it is not as fast as the stuff used in RAM memory, and with large sizes there is a problem with addressing where all that memory resides. I could be wrong on that, but I know that you need the fastest variety of CF-II cards for camcorders, while the slower writing media is alright for still cameras.
I'll leave it to the computer guys to be the absolute authority on all of this. The Samsung article is here and it claims a write speed of 45-MB/s which is slower than a SATA drive, but then again, I see that the drive they are releasing is a 1.8" type for laptop computers. I guess it would likely be much faster than a typical laptop drive. But the manufacturer's projected specs don't usually measure in real use.
Either way, it will be interesting to see things move in that direction. Massive memory with no moving parts is a good goal.

-Jeremy

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:18 am

Evidently they're planning on coming out with a latop-sized one soon...I think within a year we'll be seeing laptops shipping with those hybrid drives...

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:40 pm

just wanted to say thanks for the responses. a laptop flash based hard drive would be sweet. i bet it would be quite a bit quieter as well.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:48 pm

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:33 pm

We will all bless the day that nothing in our computers spin (and later stops spinning)
Early adopters will no doubt pay through the nose, but oh man, I can't wait.