Booking clients you prefer vs clients you don't.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Booking clients you prefer vs clients you don't.

Post by dynomike » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:32 am

What happens when you have a client with whom you don't particularly want to work? What if they have tentatively booked some weekend time that you could book to other clients that you prefer? I can't really be more specific than this, but I wonder what is common etiquette here and how one can get out of a working relationship which isn't really working.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:05 am

If they've tentatively booked it, they've got dibs. But you can call them and say, hey, I know we're on hold for Saturday but you weren't sure about it. I've got another client who wants the time. Can you firm-book the time or let it go so I can give it to the other client?

Beyond that I don't know how to advise you as far as getting rid of clients you don't like working with, except for maybe always being "busy" when they want to book time. But that's kinda passive-agressive.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:16 am

who has paid you some money to hold the time they booked?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:19 am

Nobody has paid to hold the time. Its strictly verbal. I do feel an obligation to go through with the session that was first discussed, but I wonder how everyone else deals with this kind of thing, and if someone can give me a rational moral way to avoid a likely aggravating session in favor of a more mutually enjoyable and productive one.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:27 am

dynomike wrote:Nobody has paid to hold the time. Its strictly verbal. I do feel an obligation to go through with the session that was first discussed, but I wonder how everyone else deals with this kind of thing, and if someone can give me a rational moral way to avoid a likely aggravating session in favor of a more mutually enjoyable and productive one.
i say if the preferred clients are sure they want the time, then give it to them.

iow, protect your sanity.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:09 am

I'm with dwlb, call the first client and tell them someone else is interested in the time. Ask if they woule mind booking another date and do the session with the second bamd. If the first client wants the dates try to get the second to pick another date. Try your best to get both sessions done.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:25 am

Since they haven't put a deposit down on the session, it shouldn't be a big deal for them to reschedule. If it is a big deal for them, then certainly be flexible.

But yeah, I agree that you should protect your sanity first. If you don't think it will work out, and you don't need to build up your client base, then it's perfectly legit to tell them that you don't think you are the right engineer for the job.

Having said that, I can't imagine turning away a paying client, unless of course you are lucky enough to have more people who want to book time than you do time available....
Last edited by JWL on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:26 am

Only book the gigs you will enjoy. Refer all other the clients to a neighboring Studio. And charge that Studio a finder's fee.
You come out looking like a Pro and you have some more money in you pocket. And that Studio might reciprocate in the future.
Life is too short to work on music you don't like. Don't do something just for the paycheck. It might seem like a good idea in the short run but you might be missing the gig of your career by taking on something that "just pays the bills."

And if you need to pay the mortgage...get a real job.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:22 pm

inflatable wrote:And charge that Studio a finder's fee.
That'd be a neat trick. Would it work, though?

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:24 pm

*pays off mortgage*

*opens studio*

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:13 pm

if anyone tried to ask me for a 'finders fee' for referring a band... that would be funny. I'm sure they would hang up long before I finished laughing to tell them to go fuck themselves. All the engineers that I know and am friends with would never expect money for referring someone to my studio, and I sure as hell would never expect Joel or Tony or Hugh or anyone I know in the local scene to pay me if I told a client to check them out.

anyway, back to the topic.... scheduling can be tough. i generally take whatever comes our way, and some clients are easier than others, but I have never had any 'bad' clients... definately had some that left me tired and annoyed and I had to go get a few pints after the session, but I always stay professional when in the studio.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:01 pm

toaster3000 wrote:if anyone tried to ask me for a 'finders fee' for referring a band... that would be funny. I'm sure they would hang up long before I finished laughing to tell them to go fuck themselves. All the engineers that I know and am friends with would never expect money for referring someone to my studio, and I sure as hell would never expect Joel or Tony or Hugh or anyone I know in the local scene to pay me if I told a client to check them out.
That's kinda what I thought. :wink:

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:07 pm

If they don't have deposit they got nothing, tell them the stones want the time and they're getting it. It's called bumping and I can't think of a better way to bump someone out than it be someone you don't want work with anyway, that's like kismet.
Do the bump.
I do it a lot, I don't like most of my clients that get bumped.
Harumph!

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:19 pm

I'm with Tony and dwlb. The first client gets a curtesy phone call. Often it's "hey one of my regular people really needs this weekend before they hit the road. You guys haven't confirmed yet...". If they can't make a quick decision, I can.

Depends on how much notice too. The "tentative" gets much less room to bargain the closer to the date in question. If the date is 2 weeks off, the "tentative" deserves some notice and a shot...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:04 pm

For me, no one's actually booked until I've gotten a deposit. That keeps things amazingly simple.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC