weird problem: wav files getting mixed up

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

campersand
audio school graduate

weird problem: wav files getting mixed up

Post by campersand » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:37 pm

This happened to me first in Sound Forge, now in Vegas. I'll record or mix a track one day, open it up again a couple weeks later and it'll have little bits of other wav files that I've recorded or edited interspersed throughout it.

So for example, let's say I'm listening back to a song I recorded last week. A minute or so into it, I hear a little snippet of a vocal part from a different song that I recorded yesterday. So I solo the guitar track and find that in the middle of that track, somehow this snippet has inserted itself. And it's in the actual wav file, I've tried opening it with different programs, closing it and opening it again, refreshing it, everything.

Anybody ever have this happen to them?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:40 pm

Defrag your hard drive. Sounds like it's waaaaay overdue.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:16 am

Something is seriously messed up with your DAW, OS or harddrive. I'd try checking your disk for bad sectors first, and if that doesn't find anything then wipe your drive and re-install everything.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:17 am

defrag should not corrupt your files (or prevent file corruption). That would either be a bug in the OS or application, faulty hardware (anothing else getting corrupted or just audio files?) or some other driver/application that's mucking it up (antivirus? or some other filter driver that sits in the disk I/O path).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

KFledman
ass engineer

Post by KFledman » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:32 am

I had something similar to that happen a few years back on a Mac G4.....turned out it had something to do with itunes ......i think i removed itunes and whatever extensions were associated with it and things went back to normal........

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:48 pm

I've never had that happen or even heard of that before- and I've had some really bizarre things happen before. Do you create a seperate project folder for each project, or do you record to the same directory for every project?
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

campersand
audio school graduate

Post by campersand » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:09 pm

I defragged my hard drive right before posting about this yesterday and I ran scan disk today, which did catch and fix a few bad sectors. So we'll see what happens.

Each song has its own folder.

I opened up one of the files it had done this to and listened to the part that was messed up, and now it's just noise and pops, rather than part of the other wav file. Not sure if that's a good sign or bad.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:31 pm

holy fuck, dude. you're scaring the shit out of me! i have never heard of this kind of problem.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:22 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:holy fuck, dude. you're scaring the shit out of me! i have never heard of this kind of problem.
Used to happen on Sonic Solutions all the time, we had all sorts of wonky things happen when the drives would need defragging, or if we were restoring from a damaged tape.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:36 am

The songs are all in their own folder - and the file is grabbing files from that folder? Or is it straying?

This happens to me with Acid - the "take" numbers increase sequentially based on #'s are unused in the folder - but if I start to record "Take 356" in folder A but then switch to Folder B, and recorded takes 355-357 last week, it'll overwrite take 356 in folder b. Which is aggravating.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:42 am

YOUR KONG wrote:This happens to me with Acid - the "take" numbers increase sequentially based on #'s are unused in the folder - but if I start to record "Take 356" in folder A but then switch to Folder B, and recorded takes 355-357 last week, it'll overwrite take 356 in folder b. Which is aggravating.
Oh wow, I erase all unused takes of everything immediately after a session. I couldn't live with all those takes sitting in there...yowza...