so i bought a se electronics reflexion filter...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crawdad
audio school graduate

so i bought a se electronics reflexion filter...

Post by crawdad » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:14 pm

so i bought a se electronics reflexion filter...turns out my mic stand is too wimpy to support it. any suggestions? i live in a cramped room in nyc so space is a factor. thanks

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:40 pm

Buy a cheap used cymbal stand, or sand bag your stand at the base so it doesn't fall over.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:42 pm

Buy a new stand? nah,
Open your reflexion filter up and remove all the heavy stuff inside?
Weld some reinforcing bars to your wimpy stand?
Attach some helium balloons to the filter to help support it?
Rest it on the floor and record everything down there?
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

McPorkChoppy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by McPorkChoppy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:05 pm

Suspend it from the ceiling??

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:26 pm

Can you find some used dumbell weights? Maybe you have some lying around. Put a 10lb dumbell weight around the base of your mic stand.

You can also get ankle weights that strap to your ankle, and strap that around the other end of the mic stand from the mic for balance....

Thanks
JWL

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:01 am

get a cheap tripod mic stand from Musician's Friend for like 10 dollars.. that should hold it as long as you put it so the weight is on the side of one of the legs.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:50 am

You can also unscrew it and flip it around so that the filter rests directly over the stand pole. (Tape Op Andy Hong's suggestion)

But really, the best thing is to get a real stand. If you can't afford a decent mic stand, you really shouldn't be buying $300 gadgets...

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:23 am

I have been using it for a few months now. What I did was to suspend it upside down from a very tall, heavy duty tripod stand like this one. I typically used this stand anyway for a vocal mic, so it just became my official vocal mic boom.

I like the Reflexion a lot so far. It doesn't work as well as I hoped for tracking a live vocal in the same room as a loud drummer, but that would have been expecting a miracle. It has worked very well in taming room ambiance when doing vocal o/ds in a large room though.

Roger

Madguitrst
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Madguitrst » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:55 am

$79 at MF.....I have never used a reflexion Filter with it, but it works well otherwise and it very affordable. FWIW, the vertical extension on the base (where you'd hook the RF???) is decently hefty, relatively speaking.

The Madguitrst has left the building.

high five
gettin' sounds

Post by high five » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:09 pm

I've used a sock filled with rice (doubles as a heat pad for sore muscles... microwave for 10 minutes) as a counterweight. I couldn't fasten a dumb bell to my stand without duct tape or something crazy, but it was easy to tie the sock with some shoelace. Sand or rocks might work if you don't have any rice, but in any case beware of holy socks!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:00 pm

The 10lb weight goes on the downtube, resting on the orginal base of the stand. You just have to unscrew the downtube from the bass, and put the dumbell weight there, then screw the downtube back into the base. I thought everyone knew this trick!?!?!? you never played at a punk club before? like half the stands at Cb's had this...

I am interestded in this reflexion thing, though I am skeptical, I would like to hear one in action....

Jeff Roberts
studio intern

Post by Jeff Roberts » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:34 am

Or you could check out the new micKing from Latch Lake(http://www.latchlakemusic.com/new_stand.html). Similar list price to Atlas, but heavier, sturdier, tighter, and more compact.

The 28 pound base and the mondo boom clutch are just what you need to hold your SE Reflexion filter as well as your heaviest microphone. Now shipping.

I hope that wasn't too spammy, but the first time I laid eyes on the SE Reflexion I knew that most mic stands would be in trouble with it. Both models of the micKing can hold a Reflxion filter without additional weights or sandbags.
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
Eagan, MN
LatchLakeMusic.com

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:42 am

Standard weights from a dumbbell definitely work and you can often find them dirt cheap at thrift stores. A more "professional" route might be this weight.