stereo guitar...?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

frank
takin' a dinner break

stereo guitar...?

Post by frank » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:33 pm

hey all. I'm wiring up some guitars in stereo and having some problems. both are two pickup guitars---each pickup gets it's own volume, no tone, and each goes to a mono jack (more versitile than a stereo jack, at least for now). now, they have to share ground from the same bridge, obviously...but, I'm getting ground hum from one pick up when both are on.

what's happening? what should I do?

thanks
ff
Red Hook!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:48 pm

So each pickup works properly when it's the only one plugged in?

And you've doublechecked that everything is connected properly, to rule out any fluke in the construction?

If you're using two separate amps, you are creating a big ground loop. Are both amps are grounded properly? Do you have a single amp with two inputs to try? You could also try to cut one of the shields at the jack in the guitar to break the loop.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:11 pm

yea exactly as the scum said. if you're using two different amps that are plugged into two different grounds or not grounded properly, then you're creating a text book example of a ground loop.

frank
takin' a dinner break

Post by frank » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:50 pm

both pickups work properly and quietly when they are used individually. when two are used at once, only one channel gets the additional hum...

currently, I'm going into two seperate grounded amps. I've yet to try going into an amp with two independent channels...

what would cutting the shield at the jack in the guitar entail? just removing the ground? from the bridge? what if I got rid of the third ground prong on one of the amp power cables (with and adapter)? probably, more, or at least, "different" noise...right?

thanks bros...
Red Hook!

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:59 pm

removing the ground plug from your amp is a good way to get shocked.
try putting the two amps on a powerstrip plugged into the same outlet and see if that fixes things

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:01 pm

If you've got a 3 to 2 cheater plug, try it on one of the amps...but don't do it on a bare concrete floor or in a puddle.

If the hum goes away, you'll know that it's a safety ground related problem. But that's not a particularly good solution.

To lift one of the jacks, simply cut the wire from the sleeve to the ground inside the guitar...probably to the bridge or back of the volume control, wherever your nearest ground is.