Sudden Appearance of Dropouts

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Sudden Appearance of Dropouts

Post by YOUR KONG » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:12 pm

Wwweeeiird - so I've been recording a LOT lately, but now all of a sudden I'm getting nasty latency dropouts while recording - this has NEVER happened before. I'm using a Acid 3.5 on a Dell w/384 megs of RAM and recording to an added 120 gig hardrive. This setup has worked flawlessly for *years*.

It seems that perhaps the dropouts appear when my song approaches using 13 megs of the total 384 available. Which seems fairly ridiculous. Also, I think I just dropped below ~95 gig of free space on my hard drive. Which also seems ridiculous.

This is getting horrible though - I can't record two measures without a dropout and latency. HALP!

I already ran chkdsk and defragged both the C drive and the recording drive.

flanneljammies
takin' a dinner break

Post by flanneljammies » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:17 am

Do you have some monster plugins gobbling CPU? Have you recently installed any other software, like anti-virus, for example? Those are about the only things I can think of before my first cup of coffee. :?
**At home he's a tourist.**

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:07 pm

No! Weird, eh? All I can think of is that I've been recording tons of songs so I'm using much more of the hard drive than before...but even then my usage is relatively small %-wise...

I'm gonna back everything up and just make sure everything is still connected inside. There's a big cobweb on the outside of the case so maybe the inside needs some TLC too...Man, the joys of technology... :?

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:58 am

I have had the same problem lately though maybe not quite as bad as yours, but it's driving me nuts. For me it varies from a little gap once in a song, to every 30 seconds or so. Incredibly frustrating. I can be rolling along fine recording like 7 or 8 tracks of 44.1/24 and then suddenly there'll be little dropouts. Bad hard drive? Clock issues? Too much humidity?? I'm baffled, and if anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear them...
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:20 am

you don't mention your I/O? i recently had this issue with my 828mkii that i?ve had running perfectly for years and then all of a sudden i started getting drop out which progressively got worse and worse, rebooting the 828 would fix it. after troubleshooting the computer/OS for a while i started looking at the 828 and tried it on several computers and though it didn't react when using standalone it did do the same thing with other computers. it turned into bit crushing in the end and i have it sent in right now. motu has had it for 3 fucking weeks now and only replied to one email saying they are waiting for a replacement. i assume something in the clock died.

flat repair rate $80 and shipping to them and i think the warranty starts over too

good luck,

steven

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:27 am

Thanks! I'm using an 828mkII and it makes sense that this is the part of the chain that's screwed... I'll check this out.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:35 am

what are the odds?