Drum Muffler

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Drum Muffler

Post by mysteriousmammal » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:14 pm

I remember awhile back in TapOp there was a review for a device that was a spring-loaded piston that sat on a drum head to "gate" the overtones/ring produced. Can't seem to find it now. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It would bounce up when the drum was struck, and depending on how tight the spring was adjusted, would come down and mute the head after awhile. Thanks in advance if anyone knows what I'm talking about. Anyone use one?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:29 pm

I'm 99% sure that Remo makes it and it's a relatively new product.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:32 pm

Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:04 pm

That's it. Thanks guys. Although after reading the horrible reviews on musician's friend, I think I'll just stick with the moongels.

Matt

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:59 pm

Moongels work great. Also, I had good luck with cutting a small triangle size piece of an old snare head and taping the larger end to the rim of the drum. When you hit the drum, the piece flies up and back down to muffle it. Try cutting different sizes for different degrees of muffle-age... 8)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Drum Muffler

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:51 am

mysteriousmammal wrote:I remember awhile back in TapOp there was a review for a device that was a spring-loaded piston that sat on a drum head to "gate" the overtones/ring produced. Can't seem to find it now. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It would bounce up when the drum was struck, and depending on how tight the spring was adjusted, would come down and mute the head after awhile. Thanks in advance if anyone knows what I'm talking about. Anyone use one?
Any time i needed something like that, I just would use a napkin or rag, with the right amount of change taped inside, and a flap of gaff tape to the rim. The little package would hop off the head when struck, then come to rest back on the head after the hit. The length of the duct tape flap and the amount of weight in the package would determine the decay time. Swiffer type rags work well for this, as they dont make a sound when they fall back on the head. I had been getting a sort of "aftershock" sound when using napkins too tightly taped together with change inside. The softer material of the swiffer made a big difference, and was lighter than the paper contraptions I had made before.
It works really well. I thought everyone knew about this. Probably the trick that they based this neew gizmo on...

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:53 pm

yeah, well, you know, that would have required a lot of thought and craftiness on my part. Plus, the nerdy gear factor. Now I know :)

Thanks for the great ideas!