when is a mix done?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Insendo
audio school

when is a mix done?

Post by Insendo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:26 am

I have been recording for about 3yrs now after i went to school for it. I record with pro tools LE 001. I am having a hard time letting go of the mix. I spend at least 12 hours on mix, listening to it threw different media, cassete player, my car, friends cars. I always hear something that I want to change. I realize that in time I will get a system down for mixing, but its hard when you don't have a checklist of things to do to mix, you know? I have reference CD's to compare, but come on, I realize that my humble studio doesn't sonically compete with that of the studios i am compareing them to.

I am looking for advice from seasoned engineers only, I need experienced advice please. No offense to the rookies like me.

Thanks, Insendo
Great bands = Great Recordings!!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:44 am

A mix is never done, you just find a good place to stop.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:07 am

dwlb wrote:A mix is never done, you just find a good place to stop.
That's probably the best way I've heard it put.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:49 am

*scratches voluminous belly, adjusts ponytail, puts out "the Experienced Engineer is IN" sign*

for me...i just sit and listen to it over and over. change stuff as i go, hopefully making it better. eventually it gets to a point where i can listen to it front to back and not feel the urge to change anything. but it away for a couple days. listen again, usually make a few minor changes to the balance. accept that it's as good as i'm gonna get it. next song.

chris ryan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by chris ryan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:50 am

i can't take credit for this because i read it in tapeop, i can't remember who said it though, maybe billy anderson...

something like:

"i know i've done my job when every person in the band thinks that they are the loudest!"

i love that!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:15 am

what's funny is that often everyone wants themselves louder EXCEPT the self conscious lead singer, and THEY'RE the one who should be louder.

Insendo
audio school

Post by Insendo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks everyone for the comments!!

I will use all of the advice for my mixes!
Great bands = Great Recordings!!

jizza
audio school graduate

Post by jizza » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am

when I like a mix, I delete it's session.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:29 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:...everyone wants themselves louder EXCEPT the self conscious lead singer, and THEY'RE the one who should be louder.
That's the idea behind vocal-up and vocal-down mixes. But it's time-consuming to bounce everything 3x, but if you're getting paid...
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:23 pm

logancircle wrote:That's the idea behind vocal-up and vocal-down mixes.
really. huh. never heard of 'em.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:26 pm

The mix is done when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 pm

don't finish too many records then, eh?

electricwind
audio school

Post by electricwind » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:29 pm

logancircle wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:...everyone wants themselves louder EXCEPT the self conscious lead singer, and THEY'RE the one who should be louder.
That's the idea behind vocal-up and vocal-down mixes. But it's time-consuming to bounce everything 3x, but if you're getting paid...
I just recently heard of 'vocal-up and vocal-down' mixes. I've never had to do them before, but a client requested them.. it did, in the end, save time.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 pm

The mix is done when the client is out of money. DUH :P

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:52 am

drumsound wrote:The mix is done when the client is out of money. DUH :P
OK, I'm going to have to say that I like that one the most.

I remember when I was in school I had heard or read the phrase, "no mix is ever finished, you simply decide to stop working on it."
The same sentiment exists in nearly every art form really, whether you're making films, writing a novel, painting, and so on. At some point you just have to push the little birdies out of the nest and let them either fly or fall to the ground.

It's good and bad that you're obsessing the way you are.
It's good because it shows an attention to detail, a relentless effort to get things right, and a passion for the art you're creating.
It's bad because you are second-guessing yourself, the time spent can be physically and emotionally draining, and it really eats away at the profits.
It also puts a curious strain on the client relationship. At a certain point they will start to wonder if it's dedication or inability that keeps you going back again, and again, and again.

When I start obsessing and really digging into a project, I usually get nervous looks from the artists who are wondering how much all the extra time is going to cost them. I reassure them that I'm doing it because I want their project to sound really great and that I'm choosing to put in extra time and effort because I like their work. Usually I cap that off with a line like, 'if I didn't like you guys or didn't like the music, you would be done already.' That reassures them.

-Jeremy