re-using pm-1000 modules

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

re-using pm-1000 modules

Post by nesta » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:33 pm

So I have a 16 channel Yamaha PM-1000 and I have been thinking about selling off 12 of the channels and keeping 4 for myself. It seems like most people end up chopping these things up to rack them so...I'm wondering is it possible to use the frames of the modules and the mating connectors on the modules to "rack" up other pres?

For example, can I wire up some API 312s or some neve 1073s into the frame of the PM-1000? Now, I know this pre-supposes that the voltages coming out of the power supply will need to be correct and that there is a limited amount of space for each module. Any thoughts? Recommendations? Anybody done this?

Thanks in advance.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:10 pm

why? most people rack up the PM1000 modules because the board is HUGE and individual modules would fit in a 19" rack. besides that, I don't believe the PM1000 p/s will work with most other pres. and if you had an orphan API or Neve module, wouldn't you just rack that too? sorry, I just don't get it.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:03 am

neve takes 24V and api takes a plus/minus voltage

they just aint gonna play nice with that 44V rail.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

re-using pm-1000 channel strips

Post by nesta » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:11 pm

The board is a bit on the HUGE side but lately I have only been using about 4 of the channels for tracking drums and I have been using my topaz for other tracking/mixing. I guess I was just trying to find a use for the frame after I sell off some of the channel strips. That and if I could get around having to rack the remaining channel strips and could still justify using the space the board is taking up then maybe I would be killing the proverbial 2 birds/1 stone...

Much to my wife's dismay, I have adopted a style of scavenging parts (screws, washers, connectors, cables...) for use "just in case"... Not unlike, "using every part of the pig but the squeal". So, despite its size the board has carved out a niche in my room and I almost hate to see it go. There is something about all of the wood...and those VUs...anyway...

The neve/ api were just ideas. It occurred to me after I posted it that I had read that api's required a +/- voltage.

Thanks for the responses.[/quote]

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Make something nice out of the wood, and hang onto those meters! But yeah, there's a lot of recyclable metal and empty space in that beast.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:46 pm

I've lately been dreaming of making an 8X2 mixer from my Pm1000.
I want to get a Toft ATB so I can actually mix something. It's really really hard to mix on this board.

But I was thinking of cutting off the channels just above the fader, and then drilling a hole for the fader pot somewhere. That would make a lot more room. Then I'd make a nice wood enclosure, but try to keep it very streamlined so it doesn't take up much room. And I'd have two master buss strips too.

Maybe I could even have these things sitting vertically somehwere. It would be super nice to have a small format mixer for all sorts of things, but not for mixing. After pimping my board out as much as I can, I'm really starting to realize, as I'm forcing myself to actually finish an EP, that this thing is holding me back in terms of mixing. Anyway, I still love it. That's my story. So I guess I'm thinking of actually doing the opposite as you.

jaredrush
ass engineer

pm1000 parts

Post by jaredrush » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:23 pm

i'd be interested in the circuit board portion that the master output module strips plug into. i believe the are seperated in sections of 4.

if you'd be willing to sell it to me let me know.

thanks

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:14 am

honkyjonk wrote:I've lately been dreaming of making an 8X2 mixer from my Pm1000.
im in the process of making an 8X2 PM1000...ive got all the strips (8 channels, 2 Busses, Echo Channel and the TB module[gonna make it into a pre] and its partially functioning, just need to wire up all the remaining IO. Im gonna put switchable, transformer balanced direct outs on each channel. It is matched up with my Tascam 58 8track and BLA modded 001, for a pretty decent small setup. I have thought of eventually getting an ATB for mixdown and deligating the PM1000 to tracking...but for now its all I got...im gonna be using it to sum my stems outta the 001.

The idea of chopping of the faders and putting in knobs is a pretty neato idea. There is so much info here and at prodigy pro about the PM1000, it makes it real easy.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:28 pm

Ooh,
Cool. You totally have to send me some pics Out of Tune.

So, you're going to keep the talkback and echo modules? Maybe I'll keep my echo module too. Undecided.

BTW I won't be doing this any time soon, so Jared, if you were asking me . . . .

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:53 pm

im going to keep the echo module because i will be using them for some outboard stuff when mixing my PT stems....also i might wanna do a totally analog recording and mix straight of my 8track. im planning on turning the TB module into a standalone pre. ill be posting a thread with some pics and info about my 8x2 once i get it finished...hopefully by the end of the summer. if you have any Qs, feel free to PM me.