Please help me set up my patchbay!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

craiginbminor
audio school

Please help me set up my patchbay!

Post by craiginbminor » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:05 am

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, and I'm a new member, so first and foremost, hello.

I'm very confused on setting up a patchbay - my goal is to incorporate one into my current setup, because I'm beginning to acquire more gear and I want to figure this out now.

This is my rack setup:

Firepod
Behringer Autocom compressor
T1953 tube preamp
Alto EQ

As you can see, it's not large, but I'm starting to record people and I'll be adding things to the setup. I would like to utilize the sends / returns on the back of the firepod as well. I have a Neutrik patch bay, and any setup advice / instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Craig[/b]

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:53 am

hey there

so the basic idea behind the patchbay is you want to bring all the connections on the back of the gear to the patchbay so you if for example you want to plug X into Y, you do it on the patchbay, and not on the actual gear.

the first thing you want to do is bring all the connections from the back of your gear to the patchbay. so for example, your eq has 2 sets of inputs and outputs. so you would plug each of those to the back of the patchbay. same for all the other gear. then lets say you want to plug your preamp output into the compressor input. on the front of the patchbay, you would plug a patch from the preamp output patch point to the compressor input patchpoint. you should also have patch points for the firepod line inputs. so then you would patch the compressor output into the firepod line input.

there is also normalling to consider. normalling just means the top patch point is internally patched into the bottom patch point. so if you almost always patch your preamp into your compressor, then you would normal the preamp out to the compressor input, saving yourself having to manually patch it every time.

[/code]
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

craiginbminor
audio school

Post by craiginbminor » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:25 am

It's amazing that I've read about 10 pages on this including manuals, how-to's, etc. and I didn't get it - but what you wrote makes it all come together.

Thank you so much.

Craig

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:05 pm

At twitch studios we had a needlessly complex SQL database application on our intranet web server where you went to a nice, friendly web page and said "I want to plug X into Y," and it came back and said "connect bay A, point 1a to bay B, point 1b." Armond insisted he had no idea where anything was...

When i recently moved back into 5 Miles from Nowhere, I failed to document my patchbays. I figured I put them in a logical order. Also, there wasn't a pen within reach of the rack...

I have no idea what's going on back there...

Please mark your patchbay or make notes of what you've got plugged where.