NS-10 CHat....... Seriously

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stephenchamber
alignin' 24-trk

NS-10 CHat....... Seriously

Post by stephenchamber » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:29 pm

Before anybody tells me that they are shite and I should sell em etc...

I like them. A lot..

anyway

Its often talked about coupling them up with a sub ? Lord-alge style

any reccomendations ( serious )

cheers lovers

S

virtualguthrie
ass engineer

Post by virtualguthrie » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:05 pm

Just out of curiosity what kind of stuff do you do on them and w hat do you like about 'em. I have a pair too, I kinda love 'em and hate 'em at the same time. I thought they sounded awesome when I had a sub FWIW, the low end of the sub paired nicely w/ the detailed mids of the NS-10 (which I think is one of the coolest things about them). Sorry no specific rec for a sub.

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:16 am

I have them and love them.

I run mine with a Tannoy TS12 (run about 10 o'clock on volume)

Works for me.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:16 am

Check this out...

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... &start=105

I'm wedge... scroll down a bit... I just got that Samson Resolv sub88 for $150, floor model, and I love it. Even though my M-Audios were rated for 30hz, testing showed that they crapped out around 90hz. So, the Samson thumps out everything between 20 & 90hz, then sends the rest to the M-Audios... Suddenly, I can hear the entire mix... Plus, the sub has lots of cool features. For instance, I can use a remote control to mute the entire system, whichout having to touch my desk, meaning I can keep using headphones for listening, with the speakers off. I can use said remote to mute the sub only, to get a better idea of what it's adding. I can use the remote to make the entire system louder or softer, without touching any faders on my desk... It's pretty sweet, actually...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:56 am

I mix with NS10's all the time, and they just wouldnt be NS10's to me if tey had a sub....

I DO have a sub, but with a different set of monitors that i will flip back and forth to...

I know people like using NS10's with a sub, but I chose to just have some bigger mains, and use the NS10's for what thy are: nearfields.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:07 am

While I'm not generally a fan of mixing with subs, I have heard a set of NS10s with the compatible Yamaha sub that sounded really nice.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:28 am

cgarges wrote:While I'm not generally a fan of mixing with subs, I have heard a set of NS10s with the compatible Yamaha sub that sounded really nice.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
but really nice isnt what i am looking for with NS10's...personally. I am looking for predictability, and the sub puts a variable in there that just doesnt make snse to me after all the years of hearing them without one. I DO, however, do a lot of mixing on the big's, and they have a sub.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:30 am

Oh, me neither. I'm just sayin'...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:34 am

cgarges wrote:Oh, me neither. I'm just sayin'...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I hear ya.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:26 pm

I'm kinda with ya both on that, too.
NS-10s with a sub throw me off, thus my reliance on larger monitors for the bottom octave.

In fact, subs in general I don't trust, as they're tough to mate with monitors (unless they were designed specifically for a certain system, of course) and the room - little moves in positon (and often the variable-phase knob... yikes!) change how they couple to the space significantly for me, and I get distracted by the slight localization wierdness, especially if the sub isn't centered. So personally, I prefer to do without.

:)

The trick with NS-10s, in my experience, is to keep them the heck away from walls. I hated mine until 1999 when we reconfigured my old control room, moving the monitors from up against the wall to 7 or so feet back from the wall. (The orientation of the console in the control room was shifted 90 degrees to the right...)
Suddenly the speakers I never understood or liked, nor understood how others liked, made so much sense.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.