Using pedals as insert effects?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Using pedals as insert effects?

Post by centurymantra » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:49 am

I'll have to confess that the whole balanced/unbalanced impedance matching, mismatching, etc. issues are something I have a very ambiguous understanding of, even though I should know much more than I do at this point. I always sort of skirt the topic, absorb enough to 'sorta' know the ins and outs and just soldier on with an "if it sounds good..." attitude.

That being said, I'm just curious how the textbook perfect system for integrating pedals into a console would generally be defined. When using them in a mix, I typically just send an Aux input to a pedal and run it back through a DI (or if I'm lazy, just plug it into a line input and say to heck with noise). I'm curious how this would be handled ideally, but am especially curious as to how folks would suggest incorporating pedals as an insert effect.

Thanks in advance for any and all info/insights!

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:38 am

reamp :)

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:40 am

Since pedals are active devices, the impedance thing isn't much of an issue. The only way to get into trouble would be gain staging. The inputs of those pedals are expecting guitar level signal (give or take), you could easily send it too much causing it to distort. You would easily hear that, unless it was a distortion pedal, but then it might be a good thing.

You really don't have to bother with the DI box unless the DI colors the sound in a way that you like.

Text-book wise, you would be using line level effects processors instead of pedals. So in this instance, if it sounds like you want it to, what you're doing is all good.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:51 am

I use an inexpensive interface box from Peavey called the IA 10/4 which is a painless way to use guitar pedals inserted on mixer channels or with analog ins and outs on a DAW interface.

I've done it without, and you just have to be careful about how hot the level is that you're sending to the pedal. Most of them don't have much headroom, so you either will love the bonus of extreme distortion or else you'll need to pad the input level a lot.

Roger

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:56 am

centurymantra

I build the NYDave reamp to use for very purpose (reamping is also very cool) It is totally worth it, easy build and inexpensive. I was getting too much distortion from my pedals and things were sounding very blown out. The reamp gives you a lot more control.

Like farview said-
Some pedals are just fine without the reamp and some pedals sound trashy and cool when they are blown out.

I had a sans-amp on loan for years and man do I miss it.
Kyle

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:58 am

Hey Roger, being the pedal guru you are, what are some of your favorite pedals to use as inserts?

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:05 pm

mjau wrote:Hey Roger, being the pedal guru you are, what are some of your favorite pedals to use as inserts?
I like to use things like analog delays (EH stereo memory man, deluxe memory man, Boss DM-2, Ibanez Delay Champ), Dynacomps (great for trashy sounds), Chorus pedals (TC Chorus-which can actually handle line level pretty well, Boss Dimension C), any of the Alesis Mod-FX stuff (bitrman, smashup, metavox-again, they don't mind line level either), and of course various overdrive/distortions for texture. It seems really popular to put Sansamps on snares nowadays. It's nice blended in underneath a clean track for a little more bite or beef. I like using crazy fuzzes on bass tracks sometimes too.

I bought an 8-channel version of that Peavey interface, thinking that I could go crazy and mess up 8 things at once. Typically, I only do one thing at a time though.

Roger

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:28 pm

I ran some cookie monster vocals through a POD set to "JCM800" then layered it under the original. They loved it.

Don't know if that's original or cliche.

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:38 pm

professor: where is the video that your avatar came from? that guy is rad. i went looking for it and couldn't remember how to find it.
Bipolar Production

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:25 pm

I have no idea. It was in a thread here. He was teaching singing lessons in a basment somewhere. I can't find it on you tube, there so many "singing lesson"

Hilarious stuff for sure.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:35 pm

Ah, here's the thread, but the video has been pulled down

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=40703

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:07 am

Cool. I also go to analog delays - Memory man and AD900 in particular. Being able to self-oscillate parts of a mix can be pretty wild. Also like the Verbzilla pedal for trashy reverb on drums.