okay, this sucks...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sheeptuf
alignin' 24-trk

okay, this sucks...

Post by sheeptuf » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:07 pm

So, yeah a few weeks ago, I had a band record a demo in my studio. When I did it, I only miked the cab instead of running direct in (as I look back,I am not sure why). As I was listening to the track, I noticed a godawful noise coming from the bass rig. Come to find out - my bottom cab of the bass rig was actually blown, but it was hard to hear it because the bassist plays very different than what I was used to. anyway, is there any trick to try to make the bass sound doable again? Actually, is there any way of answering this question without hearing the track?

Thanks in advance,
Tuf

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Is it a high end torn speaker type sound that you might be able to filter out? Can you redo it?

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:03 am

Without hearing it that is tough. You could try filtering or maybe some multiband compression to pull down the offending frequencies.

However, since it's bass, I would have the guy come back in and retrack the bass through a DI (for free). If he is a good player (or at least decent) and the track is close to consistent timing, it should not be an issue. Plus you are talking 3 - 10 minutes per song to get a nice clean sounding track, versus possibly hours of your time trying to fix something that may or may not yield good results.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:49 am

+1 on the mulligan.

You could try filtering out the high end, then multing the track with the same track pitch-shifted up an octave if it doesn't have enough high end content. It will probably sound pretty processed, but hey, you never know, it could work with the track.
Last edited by darjama on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sheeptuf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by sheeptuf » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:30 am

As far as having the guy come and redo it - he was a studio musician and I would have to pay him to come back in (because he was using our cab).

All of these are really great suggestions though. I think a multiband compressor (and a lot of wasted time) might do it.

Thanks a lot

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 am

Oh, studio guy, bummer. It is weird though that a studio musician didn't notice a weird tone in his phones, but those are the breaks.

Yeah multiband can be yoru friend, multing is also good to try. I have played around with pitch stuff before, but I can never make it sound right.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:58 am

Sometimes I use a separate track and phase cancellation for stuff like that. But it completely depends on how often it occurs. If it's pretty much continuous, you could try to isolate the sound using an EQ/Bandpass/whatever, and then invert the signal so it will cancel just those frequencies. Otherwise, just cut and paste (or use mute automation) for the offending noises as you encounter them.

Good luck!

Josh

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:36 am

If the sound wasn't problematic enough for you to notice in tracking, why is it a problem now? And how come the studio guy didn't notice it?

Kevin S
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kevin S » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:32 am

Kevin Kitchel wrote:If the sound wasn't problematic enough for you to notice in tracking, why is it a problem now? And how come the studio guy didn't notice it?
Agreed

Chrisbrownsound
pluggin' in mics

Post by Chrisbrownsound » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:36 am

Or distort it more. Stick it through Amp Farm or something.

Distortion is a great tool for bass to help it sit in the mix and to help the mids poke through, even when it's been recorded properly.