panning phaser/flying pan alternative?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

panning phaser/flying pan alternative?

Post by Harry » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:44 am

I'm looking for an analog panning phaser like the flying pan seen here..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Now this ain't happening for me for obvious reasons,so I started
drooling over this prophecy sound pedal seen here(the 777)

http://www.prophecysound.com:80/

But it looks like this guy might be out of business???

So my question is.... is anybody making a pedal like this? the moog has an aux out but I don't think it will be as cool as a stereo panning thing?

any help?
Thanks,
Harry

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:53 am

The Line 6 Modulation Modeler does it. The Alesis Bitrman does it (using the Ring Modulator on a low setting for panning tremolo.)

It's just as easy to hook up a phasor and a panning tremolo. Much cheaper than buying a vintage Ibanez.

Roger

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:49 am

The line 6 is ok...I have some digital units that do it that are ...ok.

who makes a good trem/pan pedal?

Boss....

dunlop use to make one(might be hard to find?)

earnie ball pan pedal? (this might be the way to go)?

any others? anyone have an opinion on these?

Man I wish the Prophecysound pedal was still available...Anyone got one for sale?????

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:34 am

the other guitarist in our band has one of the Boss panning tremolo jobbers, and she loves it, and gets some great sounds out of it.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:10 am

My favorite panning trem was the old Boss PN-2, which is now way out of production, and way overpriced. Behringer should have a knock-off of it out any day now.

While I am usually not one for digital effects, panning is not really something that I think digital can do poorly, or "...ok" as Harry says. I can see how phasing is preferable in the analog domain, as some of the designs distort in a really cool way.

Harry is right that pretty much any and all digital multi-effects dating back to the Quadraverb all have the ability to do panning phasor effects, and sometimes they're a little lightweight in the phasing department.

I think if you're after the Ibanez sound, you're probably still better off with a Phase 90 or Small Stone with a used Boss PN-2, or the purple Dunlop stereo tremolo (which doesn't go slow enough for my tastes). Being an effects obsessive, I have always sort of wanted the Ibanez just because it's rare, and I heard the sound of panning tremolo on old Ride and Lush records (who mostly used Roland GP-16s for their effects...one of those is probably going for 45 cents on Ebay right now, $5 including shipping and a sharpie autograph of Andy Bell). Without having to spend the dough, I'm satiated with the model in the Line 6 for now. Basically, if I'm going to use the effect in a song, I'm probably going to use it in ONE song, and for one part of it, therefore it's just not worth $350 to me.

I do feel that the Line 6 Modulation Modeler is weaker than the Delay Modeler, which I love, when it comes to tone. I wonder if it's a byproduct of the analog circuitry, and maybe it can be modded for a little more girth when you kick that pedal on.

Roger
Harry wrote:The line 6 is ok...I have some digital units that do it that are ...ok.

who makes a good trem/pan pedal?

Boss....

earnie ball pan pedal? (this might be the way to go)?

any others? anyone have an opinion on these?

Man I wish the Prophecysound pedal was still available...Anyone got one for sale?????

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:30 am

I am one happy camper....broke but happy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=015

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Harry wrote:I am one happy camper....broke but happy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=015
that's some incredible ebaying patience right there. i hope it's not like that year and half i lusted after a telescope when i was 9 and after i had received it the damn thing was not nearly as advertised. shit, it was like a handheld magnifying glass on a stand.

hopefully that thing pans and trems like a beast

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:44 am

Guys,
Ibanez recently reissued the Flying Pan, only made 777 worldwide and looks like if you din't get one, youre SOL or ebay bound.

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Harry wrote:who makes a good trem/pan pedal?
Shouldn't be too hard anymore
Harry wrote: earnie ball pan pedal? (this might be the way to go)?
Unless they have something I don't know about, that's a very different beast. A manual (well, pedal, but anyway . . .) pan control is a bit different from electronic auto-panners.

If you feel like DIY, you could see if the Stereo Panneur is any good on the auto-pan front.

Maybe some digitally thing will do panning phase--most pedals I've seen only mix trem and pan.

Bear[/u]
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:12 pm

bradb wrote:Guys,
Ibanez recently reissued the Flying Pan, only made 777 worldwide and looks like if you din't get one, youre SOL or ebay bound.

Man that's awesome...a little late for me though.

This is one face melting mindfucker of a pedal..If I didn't have one I would be jumping up and down and running to the music store to get one:)

Looks like they're going for quite a bet less than I paid for the prophecy sound clone too.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:15 pm

From the sound samples on the Prophesy site, I had to have one... They sound incredible. It doesn't seem like many people know about the Flying Pan, I guess that makes sense because they've been like $1500 for so long now.

Once these reissues filter thru the populace there'll be more buzz about them.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:37 pm

bradb wrote:From the sound samples on the Prophesy site, I had to have one... They sound incredible. It doesn't seem like many people know about the Flying Pan, I guess that makes sense because they've been like $1500 for so long now.

Once these reissues filter thru the populace there'll be more buzz about them.

Did you get one?

Does anybody have one or are they gone already?
$250 at ZZounds(out of stock)
there's already one on the bay for double that...crazy.

Thanks for the heads up on this....A friend of mine wants one real bad.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:37 pm

Hell yeah I got one.

its MINES!!!

:twisted: